vi. was once in chains, but now i'm free

For the past month, Liv and Five had been gradually improving their equations and methods to get back to the present. The plan was simple, on their next mission they would time travel to 2019 just like Five wanted. He said that it was relatively simple, just some quantum physics, as if she knew what that was.

She really didn't have a large part in his work, but she did finally understand why he read his sister's book so much. The math was in the margins, undetectable to any of their coworkers. Liv didn't know much about math, but from what she did learn she was able to correct some of his work. It pissed him off to no end that he could be wrong, but in the end she was helping him. Every time she did so, he would always say that Dolores said the same thing.

"Five?"

"Huh?" Five looked up from his book, he was rewriting something. The two sat on the floor of the breakroom, their backs to a corner. If anyone saw their work, surely there would be some form of repercussions.

"Who is Dolores?" Liv asked.

"Someone I knew after the apocalypse. I had to leave her behind when I came here." Five looked sad as he closed his book, reminiscing on the good times with Dolores.

"I'm sorry. During the feeds of you I watched I never saw you with another person." Liv shook her head. She would have remembered if there was another person with him, or just another person in general. He was the only person alive after the apocalypse.

"I don't think she was real." Five said, looking on the verge of tears. He never cried, at least not around her.

"New case for you two." Candace called, walking towards the two. It was finally time to leave, time to retire. "And it's a big one" She handed the file to Five.

"Christ." Liv said, peering over his soldier.

The mission was to kill JFK.

***

Two of the Temps Commission agents were sent to 1963. It was eight in the morning on November 22, four and a half hours until John Fitzgerald Kennedy was supposed to be assassinated. Olivia Elsey and Five Hargreeves stood in a small store in Dallas, Texas looking at dresses, much to the latter's protests.

"Do you think that anything we are holding can time travel with us?" Liv asked, eyeing a blue and white polka-dot dress.

"Well, I hope so. Otherwise you will be left here."

The two were dressed in 60's garbs. Liv in a knee length navy blue dress and Five in a boxy tan shirt tucked into a pair of grey high waisted pants. They looked good, even if Liv did look more like a housewife than a school aged girl.

In truth, Liv hadn't thought much about the idea of her being left behind, she was just too hopeful. If that did happen, she supposed she would just use the briefcase to get back. If she did do that, she would definitely be punished for letting Five leave before his contract was over.

"Is this really what you want to do with our time?" Five asked, clearly not being interested in the shopping she was doing.

"Opposed to what?"

"I don't know. Preparing for the fact that we are about to time travel!"

"Keep your voice down." Liv said, making her way to the lady behind the desk. "I'll take the polka-dot blue dress."

"Of course," The lady responded. She went into the backroom, seemingly going to grab the dress.

"Five, everything will be fine."