Chapter Ten: Meeting Adjorned

Soon the meeting was over and everyone resumed their post.

The door to the hall was opened by the guards stationed outside and one by one everyone left, even the officials with their subordinates.

The councilmen as well slowly started exiting the hall with their assistants.

Leila was still seated on the pew with her head down and hands clenched.

They'd rejected her plea...again.

"But Councilman Liu!" She was on her feet pleading.

"I want to help, this is the third mission after my probation, I want to at least be of some use," she said.

"Healers are needed within the walls Leila, you don't have to be out there to be of use," Councilman Liu told her.

"But...!"

"Leila, enough." It was Emma Ring, the leader of her division.

Her assistant Elias had looked sadly in her direction but there was nothing he could do. He honestly would feel more at ease if she stayed within the safe confines of the walls.

She had tried her best but she wouldn't get to keep her promise.

"Leila,"

Elliot stood by her pew with Kiera staying behind him.

Almost everyone had left by now.

Kiera had always been neutral about Leila. She didn't like Leila and neither did she dislike her.

Leila raised her head at the sound of her name and stared at them. Kiera noticed that her deep blue eyes were like the swirling sea.

They were also slightly red.

Kiera raised an eyebrow. She didn't understand her. Shouldn't she be happy that she was staying?

Staying equals survival. Leaving meant almost certain death.

Countless people have lost their lives on the mission and here she was crying because she'd been ordered to stay.

She furrowed her brow. How annoying.

"Kiera, you can go," she heard Elliot say in front of her.

She looked at her master. Elliot turned to her with his grey eyes. The sun hit his eyes from the high rise windows and for a second they looked like water.

The rays of the evening light made his hair gleam making him look like he had a nimbus around his head.

She was again awestruck at just how handsome he was.

"Yes sir."

She chanced one more look at Leila before leaving. Leila was probably the only person he formed any meaningful bond with. No one knew the reason or why he'd been so taken by her.

To him, Leila was everything.

Kiara hastened towards the door.