Chapter Thirteen: Wall Victoria

Maple was beautiful. The people over the last decade had tried their best to make it as homey as it used to be before the nuclear war.

It wasn't the same but it was close.

The terrain was beautiful and even the stream washed down beautifully from the high rise plateaus as the train passed by.

From afar she could see the wall spanning out several more hundred kilometres.

Despite the size, both walls had just enough security.

Up ahead the wall's mechanical contraption let out immense heat as the door to Wall Elizabeth opened.

It was huge. She was always amazed at how big it was. She saw Watchmen with their guns at the ready on duty on top of the wall. Some greeted them, some waved lightly.

Leila smiled slightly.

For a moment she was content. She was happy. She was safe. She had Elliot, she had Matt.

Times like these, thoughts of having no parents never crossed her mind.

Happiness was always in the little things.

She appreciated moments of surreality and peace like this.

She prayed for many more years like this. Times of peace and tranquillity.

Only Maple had been successful in pulling through among all the shelters in former California.

In America, there were only about fifty shelters left.

Maple had always been seen as the beacon of hope and because of this, it was the most likely to be attacked. A lot of rouges had tried but none ever succeeded.

Rouges we're former citizens of Shelter that has either lost their homes or been exiled because of criminality. There were more like that out there than one would think.

Always seeking opportunities to usurp Maple.

It was always a gamble each time people left the walls. There was no guarantee of life.

About five minutes later the train came to a halt at one of the Victorian Stations.

Immediately after the station was the main base. Every watch was to report there upon arrival.

She saw everyone highlighting and she stood up as well.

Leila kept wondering what the head of her division wanted with her.

She was surprised when Reuben came to her side. He wanted to walk with her.

She smiled appreciatively, he returned it.

It was already late in the day. The sun was high up in the sky and she thought about a future where she could enjoy the summers in peace.

She dreamt of a place where there would be no walls, where you were free to go wherever whenever without the threats breathing down your neck. But she knew an age like that was passed.

She often dreamt of a day when she would meet the one who would make her bars full.

She wanted to have children too but she wondered if she would live long enough to have that.