Chapter Twenty: Mark

It's been four hours since the scouts arrived and it was already day break.

The sun was starting to peak just at the horizon giving birth to a splendid mix of colours.

Leila had been up all night trying to save Mark. Sasha could only watch helplessly as she tried all she could.

Elyon didn't leave his spot at the carriage's entrance. He'd watched her all night, observing her with his mask of indifference as she tried to save him in vain.

By now she had tears falling from her face. Mark was conscious but even he knew that it was only a matter of time.

"Leila?"

During the course of the night, she'd allowed him call her by name rather by her rank.

They formed a bond during the course of the long ordeal.

He was as pale as a sheet.

"Mark." Leila held his hand with tears streaming down.

Elyon felt a discomfort seeing her crying. It was different from the way he usually felt.

She looked torn. So much so that he was about to get in the carriage and take him away from her.

Elyon balled his hands into fists. He hated this emotion, whatever it was.

"Hey." Elyon turned at the unfamiliar voice.

It was Leila's assistant. He raised an eyebrow. At one point Sasha had gone out to get a breather.

"What do you want?"

Sasha was a petite woman with blonde hair and dark eyes. She looked tired and worried. He no doubt knew why.

"I know you care about her, could you maybe go talk to her?"

Leila needed to rest, she's been up all night looking after Mark. She was desperately hoping he would make it.

"You seem to be mistaken, I'm not her friend."

Sasha was taken aback.

"But you're always with her," she said confused,

"you never talk to anyone else."

At that, Elyon frowned a little.

"That doesn't mean anything."

Sasha looked at him strangely contemplating what he meant by that.

"Are you okay with her being like that?"

Elyon looked into the carriage and saw the conversation between doctor and patient.

It irked him. Mark was getting more of her attention than he deserved.

Elyon got up and went into the carriage.

The interior had been transformed to a mini hospital for his sake.

Injections and used bandages laid in the dustbin closest to the entrance. The whole place wreaked of medicine.