Chapter Twenty One: This night

Ten more miles and they arrived at a Shelter. It was one of the only few around California.

It was built from the remains of a star gazing complex, hence why it was given the name 'Sky'.

It wasn't as big as Maple but it
would easily come second place.

While Maple was grossly technologically developed and could sustain thousands of people, Sky was only at a 1000man capacity, it also had one of the best defences around.

It was also very well maintained, also Maple had a very good relationship with them.

So when the company arrived at their gates looking worn out and ragged, they were immediately welcomed. Maple sometimes traded with Sky for supplies.

The big steel gate opened with a pssh as the mechanism restraining the heavy steel doors gave way..

The Hunters led the carriage in and the rest of the Watchmen followed suit.

"Ha, what a pleasant surprise," a beautiful middle-aged woman made her presence known as they entered through the fortified walls.

Leila felt her joint pop and she wound her arm. She took her time looking around.

Not much has changed since the last time she travelled here.

Rarely did councilmen travel but she'd had the privilege of accompanying Elliot here in the past.

It was a political visit, so they had taken the chopper. It was risky but it took much less time.

The doors began closing again and it wasn't until the doors slammed shut behind them that Leila felt relaxed.

This was due to the constant fights along the way, humans and monsters alike.

None of them has had a bath in the past four days and since they've had to cross a hazard zone those days, there had been nothing to forage due to contamination.

The woman that she recognised as the head of Sky, had about two armed men with her as guards.

They were also sporting some kind of uniform like the ones they were wearing only this one had their Shelter's insignia on it.

"Sorry to bother you on such short notice," Reuben handed her a letter they'd received a day before.

"We're low on supplies and your Shelter is the last inhabited region around here before we leave California, Rita," the head of the company spoke to her warmly.

The brown-skinned woman opened the letter and immediately saw who it was from. Her lips curled up in a smile.

"Elliot's been fine I see."

"He told me that he was going to meet with you shortly," Reuben said. She nodded.

"As usual he's a sweet talker," Rita mused as she skimmed over the letter,

"But of course, winter is coming, so I know he won't be here till after. It's a dark world out here Reuben."

Reuben nodded, that he knew. That was why they needed to wrap up everything in the next few days.