Chapter Seventeen: He loves her

The night soon got colder and it reminded her of the time they had met.

Leila loved Elliot and wanted to give him the trinket.

If anything were to happen to her during the mission, she would want him to have something to remember her by.

Leila knocked on Elliot's door, but there was no reply.

She opened the door gently.

"Elliot?" She had only been to his room a few times, but it never ceased to amaze her how impeccable it was.

It had more amenities than the average cottage and had a private bath.

Elliot has done a lot for Maple and she would never forget it.

Over the years, the dam to the south of the Shelter had successfully been put to good use, hence why there was electricity.

There he was standing in front of her speechless. He was just coming out of the bathroom. He had worn his trousers but was still shirtless.

She had seen him shirtless many times before but this time she was embarrassed.

"I'm sorry, I knocked but there was no response."

There was electricity, so she could see everything. Before he used to hide his scars from her but he didn't move to cover himself.

It was like she was seeing the most vulnerable part of him and he was okay with that.

His hair was matted to his face and he looked much younger without the coat and gear.

Leila felt like teasing him but she bit her lip. He looked away.

"I was just on my way to see you," he said quietly.

Blushing profusely, he quickly grabbed a shirt and wore it.

Indeed he has grown to be a fine man. She could see the effects of years and years of training.

Leila understood why he was the centre of most women's affections.

He held one of the highest seats in authority. He was also a very handsome and accomplished man.

Leila blushed at her thoughts.

"I came to say thank you,"

"and goodbye."

Elliot looked at her confused.

Leila walked up to him. She saw the look of confusion that had adorned his beautiful face.

"Thanks for everything Elliot. I don't know how I would have lived life without you," she said hugging him.

Elliot didn't want this type of goodbye. He didn't want any goodbyes at all.

"That day outside the wall, I didn't save you, it was you who saved me,"

He watched her continue.

"You've made me so happy."

"Stop it, Leila,"

"Stop talking like I'll never see you again. It's painful."