Snake Charmer 1

The problem

'Her laughter's annoying as fuck, her stories are as fake as her face, and her personality's as shameless as her attempt at making every guy like her.' Rae thought as she glared at the newcomer who was flirting her way up to climb the Cartel's ranke.

"Rae, I brought a souvenir from my mission!" Sykkuno said, as he ran up to Rae. Rae immediately turned towards Sykkuno, who was holding a pure gold knife styled with a dragon with ruby eyes by the handle's edge, while smiling proudly at his achievement.

"You're giving this to me?" Rae asked, as she held the dragon knife, looking back at Sykkuno for his confirmation.

"Yeah, do you like it?" He replied with his usual charming smile. This made Rae smile as she checked out her new knife. Sykkuno usually spoils her presents from heists and missions that he is doing with or without her on the job.

"Thanks, Sykkuno." Her day was immediately brightened. In fact Sykkuno almost made her forget whatever it was she was mad about—until she spoke.

"Oh, wow! That's a pretty knife!" The lady spoke, as she gazed at the knife Rae was holding. Her sudden appearance made Sykkuno back away a little bit. Obviously taken back by the lady's vibe that was too close for comfort. He looked at Rae all confused and lost for words.

"I'm Vivi! I'll be joining you guys for the missions starting today." The lady introduced herself, as she winked at Sykkuno. Sykkuno, lost for words, just stuttered a few "uhm". Rae, on the other hand, sighed.

{Rae, Corpse, and Sykkuno please report to Toast's office.} For the first time the system actually came at a great time.

"See you later!" Rae said, as she grabbed Sykkuno and started sprinting towards Toast's office.

From behind, Vivi glared at Rae. Even though his back was turned, Sykkuno could feel a deep malice that made him furrowed his eyebrows. His head was clouded with questions all the way to Toast's office.

☁🍞☀🌱

Rae threw the office's door open, startling Toast and Corpse. "Amigops, reporting for duty!" Rae yelled, as she let go of Sykkuno who went back to close the door that Rae threw open.

"Rae, please use the door properly next time." Toast said, as his gaze remained on the poor door that was nearly broken into two.

"Is something wrong?" Corpse asked Toast, as his gaze dawned at the door too.

"Someone's listening to our conversation right now. I don't think they knew about the punishment we laid down for eavesdropping." All of the sudden a bunch of footsteps fading into the distance was heard.

"So, about that new recruit." Rae started the conversation, breaking the silence.

"Have you met her?" Corpse asked, as he sat on the couch. "Personally, I'm not fond of her."

"What did you call us here for, Toast?" Sykkuno asked, changing the topic. He personally doesn't like talking behind anyone's back and would avoid all circumstances at all cost. 

"I called you here today to look after the newbie." Toast said, as he smirked at Rae.

"Fuck you." Rae blurted out, extremely annoyed. "I can't even stand being in the same room as her? Now, I have to look after her?! Toast, you're a guy, right? You must've seen how she eyed every guy here like they were a piece of meat waiting to be eaten!" Sykkuno flinched, while Corpse nodded at Rae's outburst.

"See, Rae, this is exactly why you're the perfect person to send for the job. If I send only Corpse that girl won't leave to see another day, and if I send only Sykkuno chances are she'll lose her mind." Rae and Corpse couldn't help but to laugh, remembering the day Minx tried so hard to make Sykkuno cuss, but ended up descending into madness after being attacked by his wholesomeness.

He's just too good at making people defenseless or catching them off guard. Attacking them with savagery then attacking them with compliments, resulting in speechlessness.

"Sykkuno, insights." Toast asked, as he turned to Sykkuno.

"She seemed to be having a deep amount of malice for Rae. I don't think forcing Rae to look after her is a great idea. Sure, it might reveal who she truly is, but I feel uncomfortable knowing Rae could be in danger." Sykkuno said, as he held his chin thinking of a solution.

"A deep malice? How on earth did you notice that? With just a single glance at her?" Rae asked, completely amused. Rae immediately covered her mouth. "Sorry." She sincerely apologized.

Everything is noticeable, especially if you already experienced it before. Rae felt like smacking herself on the head for reminding Sykkuno of his unfortunate experience.

"It's fine, Rae." Sykkuno said, as he smiled warmly at her. "Toast, is there anything else you wanted to add?" Sykkuno asked, as he turned his gaze to Toast.

Toast became dead serious. His expression was blank, and the atmosphere was threatening. "Yes." He paused briefly, as he looked at them, soon his gaze landed at Sykkuno who blinked once or twice.

Between the three of them Sykkuno is the only one who's not afraid of anyone in the Cartel. The only thing he is afraid of is losing his friends.

"Is that all this meeting is about?" Corpse asked, in his usual deep raspy voice. Toast smirked.

"Yeah, I just wanted to check up on you all, and maybe inform you of the post threat that we have." Toast answered. "You two can go now. Sykkuno and I need to run a few errands." Rae's eyebrows furrowed at Toast's comment.

"We do?" Even Sykkuno was confused.

"Are you guys going on a mission?" Corpse asked. He was curious too. Usually, the four of them share secrets with each other, but today Toast was acting weird. Toast would drag them one by one to his office, so he was surprised when he heard him call them through the system.

"You'll figure it out sooner or later. For now, Sykkuno's help is the only one I need. I hope it doesn't come to the point that I would need the two of you too." Toast was always calm, but today his voice revealed how worried he was. They suddenly felt uneasy. 

"Let's go, Rae." Corpse immediately understood. They both nodded at Toast before walking out of the room.

Rae gazed at Sykkuno and Toast as the door closed. "What?!" was the only thing she heard because the door closed soon after.

"It's pretty late. We should head to bed." Corpse said. Rae nodded as they both separated, heading towards their respective rooms.

As soon as Rae got to her room, she locked her door and immediately fell on her bed. She wanted to have a long stress free rest. Her phone suddenly vibrated.

Good night, Rae! Hope you like your new weapon! I'll see you at target practice tomorrow!

Rae smiled. Target practice is their usual morning routine. The loser cooks breakfast for the squad.

Great, I can try out my new knife. Good night! ❤

And with that she was able to sleep peacefully. Little did she know this was gonna be her last peaceful sleep in a while.