2- Posters

JUNO, NOT JUNEAU. J-U-N-O. Those are the first words I say at the beginning of every class on the first day of school.

"Juno August?" People say, "that's a funny name to have here."

I know. Believe me, I'm well aware.

But for once, I thought I had it covered this year. I really did. But somehow, on the second day of school, I end up walking to my assigned seat in history class which very clearly says 'Juneau' on the name tag.

I sigh and walk over. This is Mr. Roger's class, which means there's no point in arguing over the fact that my name is in fact spelt with four letters, not six. The best thing I can do now is to keep my head down and shut up about it.

I slink down in my tiny fixed chair. Mr. Roger is the only teacher in the school who still insists on using the old-fashioned desks where the chair is attached by metal bars, and I'm glad for it. There's nothing as awkward as trying to hang your bag on the back of your chair while trying to squeeze out of the aisle and knocking your elbow into April Maritime.

"Oh no," I mutter. I whirl. Her laughter goes silent. Her friends stop smiling.

April and I have what you call a complicated relationship. In freshman year we were the only mixed-race kids. Naturally, we stuck together. After all, everyone else had known one another since kindergarten. Somehow, the rumour started that we were dating. It was horrible then. We were both too young and panicked to know what to do. But in the end, it was mutually beneficial. We both became wildly popular before going our separate ways. She got her group of friends, I found something to throw myself into.

The only problem is now I never know if April is going to kiss me or deck me whenever I see her.

She goes for the hug.

"Juno!" She exclaims happily, her arms going around me. Her round sunglasses push painfully into my neck. "Juno August. Do my eyes deceive me? I haven't seen you in forever."

"Yeah ... It's been a hot minute, hasn't it?"

"That's one way to put it. Where were you this summer?"

Home. With my family. Closing up my adoption case. But I don't tell her that. I can't. "You know, around."

"Well, from now on, you're going to be around me a lot more, alright?"

I nod a little nervously. April always has an end game. That much anyone can tell. She wouldn't be talking to me if I wasn't useful.

"Miss Maritime, Mister August, please take your seats." Mr. Roger says.

I turn my gaze to him. "Well, I guess-"

Before I can finish, April drops down next to me, brushing away an annoyed Zo Wiley.

I bite the inside of my cheek.

So that's that then.

. . .

"Junoooooo!" April exclaims, ditching her friends and tucking herself under my arm. "What are we going to do with you?"

"Do with me?" I ask, shifting away and putting a good six inches between us. "Why are you doing anything with me?"

"Because of your grades, silly." She pokes my arm. "You're set to become the captain of two sports teams, August. Which guarantees you to be looked at by college scouts next year. Maybe even this year. We can't have you losing that just because you fail."

My cheeks warm. "You don't know I'm going to fail. It's only the second day."

"And yet, we both know what will really happen." She blocks my path, placing her hands on my shoulders. Her dazzling blue eyes meet my gaze. She's tall, with curly hair that she straightens and all soft features. She wears large hoop earrings and much more makeup than she wore when we were friends. "I'm going to tutor you."