19- Us

Why didn't anyone tell me Alaska would be so lovely?

. . .

I've been putting off calling Franny. Partly because I've been busy, but mostly because I'm afraid of jinxing what I have with Juno. Still, we haven't spoken in a week, and I refuse to be one of those people who pushes away their friends just because they have a new relationship. Plus, Franny deserves to be the first judge of whether or not Juno can stay.

The phone rings twice before she picks up. She then begins to shout at me for five minute for ignoring her. Which I deserve. But still.

She finishes on, "you better have a good reason, mister." Which makes her sound like my dad and I start laughing.

"I do, I promise."

"And that is?"

"I'm dating someone."

Franny goes quiet. Then my ears fill with excited shrieking. I hold the phone away from my face.

"Who is he?" She exclaims. "Oh my god, wait, I know. It's that Juno boy, isn't it? The football player?" I nod. Even though she can't see me, she knows what I mean. "I knew it! I knew he was into you."

I smile. "Really? You could've told me."

"Give me his number."

"What?" I shake my head, laughing. "No way."

"Yes, Eli. How else am I supposed to judge this boy?"

"You could not."

"Now what kind of friend would I be if I did such a thing?"

A terrible one. Which is why I'm glad she's so insistent. Even if I have no intention of giving her Juno's number.

"How about I give him your number? That way he can call you when he's ready to be subjected to your judgment."

She pauses, considering this. Then, "fine. But he better call me within the week."

"Deal."

. . .

I go to the movies with Juno and his little brother, Kylan. Kylan's super excited the whole ride there, and sings along with the radio. I join in, watching Juno's smile grow.

"I love this song!" He shouts pumping his fists in the passenger's seat. I fist bump him from the back.

"Same."

We go see some new Marvel movie, which I almost fall asleep during. The only thing keeping me grounded is how I keep bumping hands with Juno. Eventually, Kylan steals the popcorn, and he simply laces our fingers together, like there's nothing he would rather be doing than watching explosions with me.

After the movie, as he pops the lenses out of Kylan's 3D glasses so he can run around calling himself a nerd, I give him Franny's number. He shoots me a funny look.

"Did you get a new phone?"

I shake my head. "It's a Spain area code."

His eyes widen. His grip tightens on my hand. "This isn't some cruel way of telling me you're moving, right?"

"What? No! I- It's my friend, Franny's, number. I mentioned you and she wanted you to call her."

Juno's smile returns in full force. My worry melts. "Ah, she wants to judge whether I'm worthy."

"What? No." I flush. He just laughs.

"I'll make sure to make a good impression. I'll call her tonight."

I relax a little. "Thank you."

"Of course."

"Want to go get bubble tea? I think Kylan might like it. "

He grins. "You read my mind."

He spins me into facing him and kisses my cheek. For a moment it feels like we have our own little slice of the world. One where nothing bad could ever touch us.

. . .

(Juno)

I stare at my phone nervously, Franny's number in one hand. Eli's loopy writing is printed on the front.

I slowly type her number into the phone, careful to use FaceTime and turn off the camera so I don't get charged for international phoning fees and press call.

It rings a few times, then a slightly titled accented voice fills my ear. "Hello?"

"Is this Franny Jackson?"

"Yes, this is she. Who is this?"

"Juno August. I believe Eli Ruewen is your friend?"

"Best friend, actually." I can hear the grin on her voice. "How did he convince you to call me so fast?"

"He told me you wanted to judge me and I jumped on the opportunity to be put down."

She snorts. "Very forward. I like that. You seem honest."

"Is that a good thing?"

"Eli is brave, but fragile. He can only take so much honesty. So, it's a coin flip here."

"Tell me about yourself then. What makes you perfect?"

"Is that really how you want to talk? Trust me when I say that I can tell Eli to dump you, and he'll do so without a second thought."

"I think our relationship is stronger than that."

"I doubt it." She sighs, "turn on your camera."

"You first."

The screen switches between frames. The next second there is a pretty black haired girl in front of me. I turn my camera on.

She tilts her head at me. "Not bad."

"Not bad yourself."

"Don't be gross," she snaps.

I narrow my eyes. "I'm starting to feel the double standard here."

She shrugs. "Did Eli not tell you I was like this?"

"Actually he didn't tell me much." I wish he had.

She sighs audibly. "Tell Eli this went well, would you?" she asks.

"So we agree upon something."

"Good luck Juno August. Do right by Eli, yeah? Or I'll beat you with my hairbrush high heel shoe combo."

"Promise."

"That means nothing to me."

She hangs up as I start to smile.