25- Family

"You sure you are ready for this?" Dad asks at the door.

I stand awkwardly on the porch, shifting my bag on my shoulder, trying to get used to the weight of books again. I've missed almost a month of school. So much for the Ruewen motto.

"Yeah," I reply. "If not now then when?"

Deciding to come back today was a strategic decision. The seniors are gone on their trip, so the juniors have the audacity to think they run things. Hopefully everyone is too busy to be talking about the video or looking at me.

I get in the car with a mixture of dread and panic in my gut. Cassel drives me, which makes me feel like I'm a child. Like everyone's wearing their safety gloves around me because they're afraid I might explode. Cassel doesn't even make any jabs at me, or comment on how we're probably going to have to leave again.

That's the thing though, isn't it? The world keeps going. It just won't stop. The sun goes up and down and we're all trapped inside our own little lives, begging to get out and see the world only to close ourselves off when we get there.

That's all I've ever done. And will do.

I find Juno in the parking lot when we arrive. He wraps an arm around my waist and pulls me close.

"You okay?"

I nod. "Just not looking forward to catching up on all of our maths tests."

"You'll be fine. I know you."

We both know that was not the kind of okay he was talking about. But I don't want to talk about that. I need just a few moments of pretending everything is fine first.

"You ready?" I ask him before he can.

Juno smiles a little. "Yeah. You?"

"Not at all," I take in a deep breath. "But it's gonna be okay."

"Of course it is," Juno replies. "We are us after all."

I grin.

. . .

(Juno)

I don't know how I feel about Eli coming back. Not because of him- All I want is to spend every waking moment with him. But I don't know if I want him here, where he can hear every comment, every jab, every snide remark that I've been putting up with for the past few weeks.

I walk him to his next class despite his protests, and tell him to be careful.

"I wanted to do this, remember?" He asks. "This was my idea."

"I know," I say. "I'm still worried."

"Don't be. I'll see you later, I'll alright?"

I smile and nod. "Okay." He steps inside the class. I watch the spot where he just was for a moment, before hearing the warning bell.

I turn on my heel and head for class.

Normally I take the long way -less people- but today I'm stuck going to quick way with all the other late comers. Loud voices foll my ears I drift down.

"Shut up! Just shut up!"

I quicken my steps.

I hear the sound of something slamming against metal. I turn the corner to see two guys surrounded by a tight knit group of people.

"Come on, we all heard what she said. Sorry, he."

My hands curl into fists. I push past to see Cassel fighting with a Grem Halven.