25. Cats and Cubes

CHAPTER 25

CHAPTER 25

Cats and Cubes

Claire heard the marching boots on the floors before she saw the rows of security coming around the corner.

It was almost as if the entire helicarrier went silent. There was no noise, no atmosphere to feel, just a ringing buzz of anxiety when Loki came into view. Claire sat on a stool, the sushi she had been picking at was forgotten, along with the tablet she was scrolling on.

Loki's hair was sleeked back, he wore Asgardian robes with triangular shoulder pads. His theme was green and gold, and his face was sharp and demanding.

Bruce seemed lost in his research, eyes darting from the sensor he was building to his iPad until he caught his own look at Loki.

The God sauntered past the windows and door, locking his eyes dead on Bruce Banner. A smirk grew on his lips when he saw how rigid the Doctors became at the mere sight of him.

Bruce removed his glasses, his eyes drawing from each window to the next in an intense stare.

Loki's grin widened. Whatever the joke was, he didn't seem keen on sharing it with anyone else. Bruce reacted by pinched the bridge of his nose as if he was experiencing an excruciating headache.

Claire recognized this symptom and leaned over to touch his wrist. He slowly raised his eyes, and she gave his hand a squeeze, this was effective enough for his hand to drop and prevent any Hulking-out in the meantime.

The lab door swooshed with air from being opened, where Tony stood in his Iron Man suit. Or at least, what was left of it.

"Loki put up a fight?" Claire asked.

The Doctors had been informed of Tony Stark's impromptu participation in Germany, and that he would be joining them in the lab afterward.

"No, but his brother did," Tony responded in annoyance.

"Brother? Are there two now?" Bruce asked, looking between them.

"Thor's back?" Claire dipped her head to the side, curious if he would be protecting their world again or destroying it this time around.

"Big guy's a nut for his hammer. Do you wanna meet a God? They're out on the bridge."