32. Avengers Assembled

CHAPTER 32

CHAPTER 32

Avengers Assembled

Claire was in her element- that is, if her element was considered to be the middle of New York City during an alien invasion, then yes, she was quite at home. She focused all her energy on ensuring the people were safely moved from the bus to a nearby shelter, whilst the other two agents provided cover. Agents Romanoff and Barton were definitely in their field of expertise, the redhead firing shot after shot from her twin pistols and the archer notching and firing arrows just as rapidly. Chitauri soldiers fell like dominoes, no match for the trained assassins.

"Just like Budapest all over again," Natasha shouted to be heard over the fighting.

"You and I remember Budapest very differently," Clint shouted back, slinging back arrows in an almost mechanical manner.

"Budapest?" Claire chipped in as she carefully made her way over to the pair, having completed her task. "I assume this wasn't travel for leisure," she said skeptically.

"In our line of work there's rarely time for anything leisure related," Clint replied, and she could detect the slight hint of bitterness in his voice.

The therapist was of course familiar with the concept, having spent the better part of almost eight years under the employment of SHIELD going to where she was needed. She was allowed very little contact with her family for both their safety and hers, it was a solitary existence (her and Simba naturally), with little room for luxury. Though she had to admit, her being assigned to the well-renowned tech genius and billionaire himself, Tony Stark, came with some pretty sweet digs. That is until it all went to hell and she'd somehow ended up here, right in the thick of it all. Sensing that her skill set was no longer required, she proceeded to cower heroically behind a taxi, letting the professionals handle things.

An explosion rocked her shield, followed by a roar that sounded a bit too close for comfort. She hesitantly peeked through the windows of the cab and her eyes met with a pair of glowing yellow orbs. She ducked back down immediately, hoping against all odds that the creature would pay her no heed. The crunch of metal was all she heard before the alien was on top of the car, brandishing his staff in her direction, readying to fire.