27. Chemical Reaction

CHAPTER 27

CHAPTER 27

Chemical Reaction

Claire's heartbeat picked up when she realized they had very limited time to get to the lab, if any time at all

Claire's heartbeat picked up when she realized they had very limited time to get to the lab, if any time at all. How long had they been inside that room anyway? What if Banner was already on his way to transforming into the Hulk?

She increased the speed of her walk from following Natasha to rushing right beside her. The two of them rounded one more corner, Nat's head swung from left to right, and then she pointed down the hallway to indicate that this way was quicker.

Claire signaled for Simba to pick up his pace, the three of them now walking straight through the glass doors of the lab and into a room of chaos.

"What's going on here?" she burst in, her gaze shifting from Tony to Bruce, Bruce to Steve, Steve to Fury.

"I was wrong, Doctor, the world hasn't changed at all," Steve nudged a gun on one of the lab tables, causing it to fly right at Claire and knocking the wind out of her stomach.

"Hey!" Nat shouted, catching Claire's arm as she flailed her arms to catch her balance.

"What the hell, Rogers?" the doctor gasped.

"How aware are you that SHIELD was running a project called 'Phase two'?" Tony jabbed to Claire, "Or were you going to keep all of us in the dark?"

"What is phase two?" Claire asked.

"Phase two is Shield uses the tesseract to create those," their heads swung to Steve who pointed at the metal fallen on the floor.

"To make weapons?" she directed her question to Fury.

"Did you know about this?" Banner pointed a pen at Tony's research screen, on it was dozens of open windows all relating to harvesting tesseract power and using it for destruction.

"You want to think about removing yourself from this environment, Doctor?" Natasha reasonably asked.

Claire shook her arm out of Natasha's hands, immediately feeling less balanced and calm.