Ch. 4 - Archery

Breakfast was separately sent to each of the competitors' rooms, as was lunch. And when it became time for the first game, you got dressed in an all-white dress and matching tiara.

The archery competition was set on the castle grounds, with a small platform where you would watch from. The platform had an overhead ceiling, but there were no solid walls. There was a replica throne in the middle of it where you would sit. There were a couple of other platforms for your subjects, who were invited to watch, but they had benches instead of your single seat. The targets were set up in front of you so that the competitors would face away from you when shooting.

You sent Eamon to fetch the volunteers. And when they filed onto the grounds, you fixed your posture. The council was going to be watching all of the games, and judging everyone there. You recited what you were going to say in your head for the tenth time, it was imperative that you impressed the council when speaking publicly.

Everyone was handed a quiver and a bow (the same ones to make it fair) and told to face you instead of their target. You stood and walked to the end of your platform. Eamon stood next to your seat and gave you a look of encouragement.

"Welcome to the first game of the Tournament," your voice boomed. You glanced to the platform on the left of yours, where the council was. They were waiting for you to continue, so you did, "Your quivers hold three arrows; three shots each. You must do your best at getting as close as you can to the middle of the target. The top four men that win this game will be given extra time with me the next two days, and the bottom two will be eliminated from the Tournament and sent home."

You looked at the man on the very left. "Prince Loki of Asgard, you may begin. Shoot all three arrows."

You sat back down and watched as Prince Loki pulled the bowstring back. He breathed in and then released the first arrow. It lodged itself straight into the middle of the target. The audience cheered, and the next two both made it into the center circle.

Prince Thor's first two arrows hit the very top edge of the target, and the third missed completely. You sympathized with the prince, knowing that he'd most likely be going home.

Next was Prince Pietro, and he had two in the middle and one in the second circle.

Prince T'Challa missed twice and the third hit the second circle from the center. Worse than Prince Thor...

Eamon subtly leaned down to whisper in your ear, "I suppose we all know who's going home." You quickly masked your chuckle and continued to watch the men shoot.

Lord Erik hit all the arrows on the second circle, enough to pass.

Prince Brock's arrows got into the center twice and the third on the outside edge.

Prince Anthony got two on the third circle and the third hit the middle.

Captain Steven's first arrow lodged into the third circle, and his last two made it almost to the center. You let out a breath of relief to know that he at least passed in this competition.

Sir James' arrows all fit perfectly in the center, he was one of the winners of this game. You were surprised by this, you didn't expect him to do so well.

Sir Samuel almost didn't pass, but his last arrow ensured he stayed in Evradia.

You stood as the last arrow hit its target, ready to announce the winners and losers even though it was obvious who would be returning home. It was more for your subjects' sakes than yours or the competitors.

You stood once more and approached the edge of the platform. "You all did wonderfully, but Prince Thor, Prince T'Challa, I must ask you both to retrieve your things from your chambers and return to your countries. I thank you for participating."

Both of the Princes left the grounds and trudged up to the castle in defeat. Though you weren't the least bit disappointed in them, you knew that their fathers would be and they were embarrassed to be returning home.

"As for the rest of you, congratulations on passing the first game of the Tournament. I will see you all separately over the course of two days. The four men that have won are as follows; Prince Loki of Asgard, Prince Pietro of Sokovia, Prince Brock of Hydra, and Sir James of York." You paused between each of the names, letting the crowd cheer before you announced another winner. "You all are dismissed, I will send someone to bring you to me when our separate courtship time arrives."

Perhaps you could finally get to know two of the three infamous womanizers better. You hoped they had something beneath it all, that their personalities shined through while you spent the extra time with them.

You were most surprised by Prince Brock's skills in archery. You thought Hydra didn't teach their royalty many battlefield skills, thought they'd rather have their soldiers do the work. Today proved you wrong. Worry flooded your mind.

This game was not what you expected. Granted, you didn't know what to expect in the first place, but this one surely gave you the impression that you had much less control than you thought you did.

For the first time since your council proposed the idea of this Tournament, you actually considered the dangers you could be putting yourself in. These games were based on skill, intellect, and brute force. Any one of these men could win and therefore, marry you and rule beside you as king.

It was no matter; there were three games left and anyone could be eliminated. Chances were in your favor.

~~~~~~~

Two chapters today! I'm such a doll.

Anyway, I've never seen anyone talk about or mention that Steve kept his wedding ring on even after Peggy died. I find that incredibly adorable.