Ch. 12 - To Be King

After Steve won the final game, he was ushered out of the arena because the council had to settle some things with him. You weren't permitted to be in the room while they talked to him for some reason, which irritated you. You were going to be queen in a couple of weeks and they still left you out of their discussions.

You could always count on Eamon to fill you in afterward, but it was the deliberate belittling and degrading that bothered you. You could have done so much more if they just let you.

Steve met you in your study about an hour after the council dragged him to their private meeting room.

He had been pretty quiet since he got back, that happy attitude after winning seemed to be gone. It was replaced by a solemn, calculated look as if he was contemplating what he was going to do next, which you wouldn't put past him. But what did the council say to him?

"So what did they talk to you about?" you finally asked.

Steve snapped out of the daze he was in and looked at you from across your desk.

"We discussed my upbringing and I told them that I worked my way to the top, but had plenty of experience with handling royal affairs due to my close friendship with King Anthony. Still, they wanted to sort out how a knight was going to become king, and they came to the conclusion that you should just teach me anything I don't already know."

You nodded. "I suppose that's the best way you could learn. We have a couple of weeks until we wed, and then a couple after that before our coronation. That'll give us plenty of time to go over scenarios and the kingdom's plan."

"I look forward to learning all I can. I know Evradia's culture is different from York's, so if we could go over your customs and traditions, I'd really appreciate it."

"Oh! Well, we could go over that now because it's all quite simple, really."

He looked more content already. "Alright, thank you. While we talk, is it alright if I write some letters?"

You genuinely reeled back from that. No man of royal status or of association to royalty had ever asked you if he was allowed to do something.

"Of course, you don't have to ask."

"We're having a conversation, it'd be rude not to."

Your heart melted and you smiled, getting up from your desk chair. You rounded the corner of your desk and took his face in your hands, kissing him immediately. His beard tickled your clear face as you moved your lips against his. You both parted with the sweet sound of lips smacking.

Steve was smiling when he said, "What was that for?"

"I've just never met anyone like you, Steven Grant Rogers."

His happy smile turned into a sheepish grin. "And I've never loved anyone as I love you."

You spent a couple hours walking Steve through your country's traditions, and he had finished writing about halfway through. There wasn't a lot, but the ones that held original to your country alone were important to you because you grew up with them. You were happy to share them with Steve. It was mostly what your holidays were, how funerals went, and how birthdays were celebrated.

The only thing left, which you were putting off, was the wedding ceremonies.

"So, our weddings are quite simple and traditional. They're much like the ones in York, just a few small additions. Firstly, I don't have my parents to walk me down the aisle, and usually, the groom's father would if that was the case."

Steve caught your questioning look and answered, "Neither of my parents are alive, I'm sorry."

"No, Steve, it's alright. I'm so sorry to hear that."