Where it all began

There were 30 of the bandits, minimum, blocking all openings.

It made me wonder how the twin horns escaped after Arthur's 'death'.

A bald man with a heavily scarred face and the body of a bear, carrying a giant battle axe, spoke out. "Look what we have here. Pretty good catch, boys. Leave only the girls and the kids alive. Try not to scar them too much. Damaged goods will only sell for less,"

The mere thought of that made my blood boil, even though I had expected this. Emotions really do fuck up people.

I picked up a nearby rock, imbuing it with as much mana as I could as a spiderweb of cracks began spreading on its surface. Taking aim, I shot it towards the bald bandit and it hit right where it hurts.

He howled in pain, crouching down to a fetal position as I glared at him with the force of the entire weeb population. Or maybe not, some of those degenerates were into that thing.

Dad used this opening to his advantage, "There are only 4 mages and none of them seem to be conjurers! The rest are normal warriors!"

Channeling your inner adventurer, eh, dad?

"Safeguard formation!" He ordered.

Adam was behind us, brandishing his spear. Helen and jasmine to our sides and Dad and Durden at the front, parrying the archers.

 "Gather and guard my allies, O' benevolent Earth; do not let them be harmed!" Durden chanted and a four meter tall earthen wall rose up in front of us.

Taking this chance Dad rushed forward, bludgeoning bandits to death with his gauntleted fists.

A bandit did try to sneak up to him, but an arrow through his chest stopped him in his tracks.

I had thought seeing someone get killed for the first time would be nauseating, but I felt nothing for them, no compassion, no pity nothing.

Guess I'm truly a shitty person.

Okay, I sound like an edgelord, let's stop.

"Warrior coming your way, Helen!" Adam shouted as he dodged the swing of a mace wielder, delivering a precise swipe to his jugular killing him.

Jasmine was currently engaged in an intense duel against an augmenter, whose weapon of choice was a long chain whip. She seemed to be at a disadvantage since her daggers didn't have much range. She was doing all she could to dodge the erratic movements of the whip.

By now the enemy had realized how much she was struggling as he jeered while licking his lips. "I'll make sure to treat you real well before we sell you off as a slave, little missy. Don't worry. By the time I'm done training you, you'll be begging to stay with me," he hissed.

I scrunched my face in disgust, if only I could pull that trick again...

I noticed Mom's hand inching closer to her wand, but hesitating as she glanced around us warily.

Ah yes, the whole incident with Lensa. 

I tightened my grip on her hand, trying to reassure her without words. But that rarely works as intended as she took it as a sign of fear, and grabbed us closer to her.

Just then something crashed into our carriage, and going out we saw who it was.

I paled, the novel never did go into detail with how injured he was.

I'm surprised I didn't lose my breakfast.

"Dad!" Arthur yells.

"Honey!" Mother screamed, rushing over to his side.