Awakening

4 YEARS LATER

*CLANG*

The sound resounded across the wide room, along with the sound of earth cracking.

A dark-brown-haired boy grimaced, holding a dagger up in the way of a crimson sword, his bones rattling from the sheer force behind that blow.

“You know, you could soften your blows.” he snarked, massaging his arm after jumping away.

“That’s the whole point of this training.” she shot back, tightening her grip on her sword, and lunging forward.

The boy shot her a deadpan look, and instead of moving away, he moved closer to her, taking her by surprise. 

She shook off her surprise fast enough and focused on the boy, trying to predict his movements. She noticed a twitch in his right hand and moved accordingly to intercept him.

The boy smirked, she had reacted just as expected. He brandished his dagger, angling it above him. The navy-blue-haired girl prepared for a downward strike in retaliation.

The boy ducked down, surprising the girl, and aimed at her side with both his daggers. 

The battle came to a standstill when he stopped less than an inch from stabbing into flesh, suddenly aware of the crimson blade hovering over the ridge of his brows.

Sighing, he lowered his daggers, “A draw, I can live with that.”

The girl smiled smugly, extending her arm towards him, “I’ve still got one win over you.”

“Yeah, not for long,” the boy grumbled, grabbing ahold of her hand and getting back on his feet.

“We’ll see about that.” sheshot back.

Someone cleared their throat, drawing their attention, “Fayden, Caera, I have an assignment for you.”

“Are we finally going on a Relictomb?” the boy, now identified as Fayden, asked hopefully.

The woman nodded tersely, “Yes, the two of you are to reach the nearest ascension gate as soon as you can. Your licenses are in your rooms, along with your equipment.”

“Yes, Master,” we spoke in tandem and walked away.

________________________

Minutes later, the two returned to the arena. Fayden was dressed in a blue shirt, black combat trousers, and a black and blue long coat. Two daggers hung behind his waist, a quiver strapped over his back and a retractable bow was placed at his belt. Caera was dressed similarly, bar the coat, and had a single sword sheathed behind her back.

The lavender-haired woman nodded approvingly, “Good, I have faith that you to will be able to clear the Relictomb without issue.”

The boy smirked, “Of course, we haven’t trained our asses off the past few years to be beaten by some mana beasts.”

“Do not let your overconfidence cloud your judgement,” she reprimanded the boy, whose smirk faltered.

“I’ll be fine, Master. If needed, I’ll remove the seal.” I reassured her, raising my arm to show the black band that restricted two of my elements.

“Do not be too dependent on your quadra-elemancy,” she warned one last time before turning and walking away.

The boy sighed, he could take care of himself dammit!

“Wanna have a competition?” he asked his companion.

She smirked, “Most kills?”

He returned the expression, “Hell yeah.”