Being of Aether

I deactivated my godrune, we were safe now.

I could feel the drain it had on my lilac tinted core, the small amount of aether I had absorbed from the spire had been totally drained away.

The ability to phase through matter could indeed prove to be very useful, but the drain may be too much. Or perhaps it's because I didn't have enough aether in my core?

Seems like this 'godrune' has some side effects.

'It does' I nodded, noticing the black strands of hair. 'But I don't really care what happens to my looks as long as I get the spell. Of course that excludes changes that make me look hideous.'

Count yourself lucky this time then.

"What happened to your hair?" Caera spoke for the first time since we entered the tower, "Wait, before that, what were those purple letters on your face?"

"I honestly don't know what it's called, but when I touched this pillar the knowledge of the spell was literally downloaded in my mind. As for what happened to my hair, it is a side effect from gaining this Godrune." I explained to her the concept behind gaining a godrune, by getting insight on the rune and gaining the rune itself.

"How do you know all this?" She asked, bewildered at my knowledge.

"The information came with the knowledge of the spell." I couldn't possibly tell her that it was knowledge I gained from reading a book with her, and everyone else, as fictional characters.

"Uh huh." Seems like my acting wasn't good enough. "Anyways, how do we get out of here?"

"We need to find the ascension portal," I stated the obvious, "I didn't really see one closeby, it might be even farther away or maybe it's hidden by something."

"Or inside something." Caeras fingers pointed ahead of us, where a dial was embedded into the wall.

Huh, that looks similar.

...

Wait a fucking minute!

I got up and walked over to it, placing my hand over the indentations.

These are runes, spatium runes.

I didn't dare activate it, neither of us needs another big fight right now.

"What is that?" Caera asked from beside me.

"Bad news, and perhaps our way out of here." I pointed out solemnly.

"Why aren't you using it then?"

"You want to face trials right after fighting a horde of monkey monsters?" I deadpanned at her.

"...Good point."

That's when I noticed the stubbles on top of her head, "What's with the, uh...horns?"

Caeras hands instinctively went to her forehead, "Honestly, I don't know. They appeared to grow out of my temple when I used that last spell."

She awakened her Vritra blood it would seem, this is troublesome.

"Caera, listen closely. Once we get out of here, hide your head." I said seriously, staring into her crimson eyes.

"But why?"

"Master Seris will explain the details, but in short you'll be whisked away by the High Sovereign to be experimented on." Calling Agrona 'the High Sovereign' left a bad taste in my mouth, I'd have much rather referred to him as the unhinged asshole he is.

"How do you know that?" She questioned, narrowing her eyes. Understandable, it was suspicious of me to know this much.

"Reasons I can't reveal yet." I said without missing a beat.