Chapter 13

Nicole woke up one morning and got out of bed. She grabbed a towel and went into the bathroom to take a shower. She let the warm water wake her up.

Once she was done in the shower, she blow dried her hair and then walked back into her room. She searched her closet for an outfit and changed into it.

Once Nicole finished getting dressed, she headed downstairs.

"Good morning, Nicole." Charlie greeted.

"Morning Dad." Nicole said. "

How are you this morning?" Charlie asked.

"Tired." Nicole answered as she made some oatmeal. "Blake kept waking up throughout the night."

"There's coffee, if you want some." Charlie said.

"Thanks Dad." Nicole said, pouring herself some. She sat down and quickly eat.

When she finished, she headed up to Blake's room. She had let him sleep as long as he could. "Blake, it's time to wake up." Nicole said, gently waking him and picking him up. Blake squirmed and whined as Nicole dressed him. "I know you're tired, but I need to get you ready for day." Nicole said.

Once she finished getting Blake dressed, she carried him downstairs. She set him in high chair and cut up a banana for him.

"I want a donut." Blake said.

"How about a banana." Nicole said. 

"No!" Blake said, throwing food of the floor.

"Blake!" Nicole said. "Can you please eat?" She bent down to clean up the mess.

"No!" Blake said.

Nicole sighed. "I don't have time for this." She said.

"I'll clean it up." Bella said. "You take Blake to daycare and get to work."

"You don't have to do that." Nicole said.

"It's fine, Nic. I have time before school." Bella said. "Don't make yourself late for work."

"Thank you so much, Bella." Nicole said.

"Of course, Nicole." Bella said. "Now go. Before you're late."

Nicole picked up Blake from the high chair, got his shoes and jacket  on, and walked out to the car.

Later that afternoon, Nicole was in the library when she saw Carlisle.

"Hi." He greeted.

"Hi." Nicole said, smiling. "What are you doing here?"

"I brought you lunch from the diner." Carlisle answered.

"I thought you didn't eat regular food." Nicole said. "Or is that wrong?"

"I don't, but I can still bring you lunch." Carlisle said. "Are you able to take a lunch break?"

"Yeah. Just give me a moment." Nicole said. She finished what she was currently doing and went outside with Carlisle.

Nicole kissed Carlisle. Caught off guard, Carlisle pushed himself away from her. "I'm sorry." Nicole said.

"Don't be. It's not your fault." Carlisle said. "I just don't want to hurt you." The two sat down at a picnic table.

"I just missed you." Nicole said. "I feel like you've been avoiding me since the day Bella and I came to your house."

"I'm not avoiding you." Carlisle said. I'm trying to give you space and time to think about everything I told you. I know it's a lot to take in."

"I appreciate that." Nicole said.

"Are there anymore questions you want to ask me?" Carlisle asked.

"I've known your family for three years and you don't tell me this until now." Nicole said.

"We're not supposed to tell anyone what we are." Carlisle explained. "Bella wasn't supposed to know. She figured it out herself. I wanted you to hear it from me."

Nicole nodded. "I do have another question." She said.

"Go ahead." Carlisle said.

"The day you brought me to the waterfall and kissed me." Nicole started. "Did you ask me not to move because you didn't want to hurt me?"

"Yes." Carlisle answered. "I wanted to kiss you for awhile, but I didn't want to risk hurting you." Nicole nodded. "Are you ok." Carlisle asked. "You look exhausted."

"Just tired." Nicole replied. "Blake had a restless night, so I was up most of the night with him. He didn't want to get up this morning and was really fussy."

"I'm sorry." Carlisle said.

"It's fine." Nicole said. "So, my family's playing baseball tomorrow and I was going to ask you if you wanted to come." Carlisle said. "I think Edward's inviting Bella to join."

"You play baseball?" Nicole asked. "We all do. It's sort of a family thing we do." Carlisle explained. "But, we're only able to play during a thunderstorm."

"Why's that?" Nicole asked.

"You'll just have to come and find out." Carlisle said, smiling.

"Alright then." Nicole said. "I'll see if my Dad would be willing to watch Blake."

"Well, I'll let you get back to work." Carlisle said. "I have to get back to the hospital, anyway."

"Thank you for bringing me lunch." Nicole said. "I really appreciated it."

"Of course." Carlisle said, kissing her on the cheek. "I'll see you later."

"Bye." Nicole said. Nicole walked back into the library while Carlisle headed to his car.