Chapter 14

The next day, Nicole was in the kitchen. Blake having a snack and Charlie was cleaning his shotgun.

Just then, Bella came into the room. "Here's another beer, Dad." She said, setting a beer can down on the table.

"Thanks Bells." Charlie said.

"I have a date with Edward Cullen." Bella said, quickly.

"Isn't he a little old for you?" Charlie asked.

"We're both juniors." Bella said.

"I thought you didn't date any of the guys in town." Charlie sad.

"Dad, stop interrogating her." Nicole said.

"He's right outside." Bella said. "He wanted to meet you."

"Alright." Charlie said. "Bring him in." Bella went to get Edward and they came back into the kitchen.

"It's nice to meet you, Chief Swan." Edward said. "I'm Edward Cullen."

"Hi Edward." Charlie said, awkwardly.

"Bella won't be out late." Edward said. "She'll just be playing baseball with my family."

"Bella's going to play baseball?" Charlie asked. "Well, good luck with that."

"Are you coming, Nicole?" Edward asked.

"You're going too?" Charlie asked.

Nicole sighed. "Carlisle invited me yesterday when he brought me lunch at work." Nicole explained. "But, I completely forgot about it and I don't have anybody to watch Blake, so I'm not going to go."

"Go." Charlie said. "I'll watch Blake."

"Dad, you don't always have to do that." Nicole said. "It's not fair to you."

"It's not a big deal, Nicole." Charlie said. "Go have fun."

"Are you sure?" Nicole said.

"Yes." Charlie said.

"Thank you, Dad." Nicole said.

"We should get going." Edward said.

"Bye bud." Nicole said, kissing Blake on top of the head. "Be good for Grandpa."

"I will." Blake said.

"That's my boy." Nicole said. The three of them walked out of the house.

A little bit later, they arrived at the field and made their way over to the others. Nicole saw Carlisle heading over to her.

"Hi love." He greeted her with a peck on the cheek. "I'm glad you came."

"Me too." Nicole said. Esme came over to them.

"Glad you girls are here." She said to Nicole and Bella. "We need umpires."

"She thinks we cheat." Emmett said.

"I don't doubt that." Nicole said with a chuckle.

"It's time." Alice said, just as they heard thunder.

Bella and Nicole stood by Esme and played as umpires as the game started. Rosalie batted first and the Carlisle was up. He smiled at Nicole as he walked up the plate. He hit the ball and got to first base before Emmett and Edward got it. The game continued.

"Stop!" Alice said, just as Rosalie was up to bat again. "They were leaving, but then they heard us."

"Let's go." Edward said to Bella and Nicole.

"It's too late." Carlisle said.

"What?" Bella asked.

"We shouldn't of brought you guys here." Edward said to them.

"Get behind me, Nicole." Carlisle said. "And keep
your hair down."

"You too, Bella." Edward said.

"What's going on?" Nicole asked. 

"Just stay behind us." Carlisle said.

Nicole and Bella did as they were told. Carlisle stood, protectively, in front of Nicole. They saw three figures approaching. Two were guys and the third person was a woman. The two guys both had long hair. One was African American and the other was caucasian. The woman was also caucasian and had fiery curly red hair.

"I believe this belongs to you." The African American man said, holding up a baseball. He threw it to Carlisle.

"Thank you." Carlisle said as he caught the ball.

"I am Laurent." The man said. "And this is James and Victoria."

"I'm Carlisle. This is my family." Carlisle said. "I'm afraid your hunting activities have caused something of a mess for us."

"Our apologies." Laurent said. "We didn't realize the territory had been claimed."

"Yes well, we maintain a permanent residence nearby." Carlisle said.

"Well, we won't be a problem anymore." Laurent said. "We were just passing through."

"The humans were tracking us, but we led them east." Victoria said.

"Excellent." Carlisle said.

"So, could you use three more players?" Laurent asked. The Cullens were quiet. "Just one game?" Laurent said.

"Sure." Carlisle said. "Some of us were leaving. You can take their place."

As they turned, the wind caused Bella and Nicole's hair to blow.

"You brought us some snacks." James said. The Cullens jumped in front of the two girls.

"They're human?" Laurent asked.

"The girls are with us." Carlisle said. "I think it would be best if you leave."

"I can see the game is over." Laurent said. "We'll go."

"Get Nicole and Bella out of here." Carlisle said.

"Go." Edward led them to Jeep and they got in.

"So what, now he's coming after us?" Bella asked.

"James is a tracker. The hunt is his obsession." Edward explained as he sped out of the clearing. "I read his mind. Mine and Carlisle's reactions at the field set him off. We just made this the most exciting game ever. He's never going to stop."

"What should we do?" Bella asked.

"We have to kill him. Rip him apart and burn the pieces." Edward said.

"Where are we going?" Nicole asked.

"Away from Forks." Edward said.

"We have to go home." Bella said. "You have to take us home."

"You can't go home." Edward said. "He'll trace your scents there. That's the first place he'll look."

"But our Dad's there and my son. They're going to get killed because of us." Nicole said.

"Just let me get you guys out of Forks." Edward said.

"They're our family. We have to go back." Bella said. "We'll figure out a way, but we have to do something."

"Fine." Edward said.