Chapter 21

A few more weeks went by. It was the beginning of summer and Nicole had pretty much healed from the incident.

Nicole woke up one morning to see Carlisle staring at her.

"Well, that's not creepy to wake up to." She said.

Carlisle chuckled. "Morning beautiful." He said, kissing her.

"Good morning." Nicole returned.

"How are you this morning?" Carlisle asked.

"I'm good." Nicole said. "So, when did you want to go on this trip?"

"We can leave this Sunday." Carlisle replied.

"What about work?" Nicole asked.

"I've spent so much time at the hospital, I'm long overdue for some time off." Carlisle said. "And I'm sure the library will let you have some time off with how hard you work. Besides, you haven't been working much because you've been injured."

"My passport?" Nicole asked.

"That's already handled." Carlisle said.

Nicole nodded and got out of bed. Carlisle groaned.

"I have to get ready for work." Nicole said. "And so do you."

Carlisle groaned again, but got out of the bed. "I'll see you later." He said, kissing her again.

Nicole watched him climb out the window and down the tree. She walked into her bathroom to take a shower.

Once she finished, she got dressed and headed downstairs. "Morning Dad." Nicole said.

"Morning Nicole." Charlie greeted. "I made coffee."

"Thanks Dad." Nicole said. "I'll start making some breakfast." Nicole started making breakfast. "Dad, can you get Blake up and get him ready while I finish this?" Nicole asked, after a little bit.

"Sure." Charlie said as he headed upstairs.

Nicole was setting the table when Bella came downstairs. "Where's Dad?" She asked.

"Getting Blake up." Nicole answered. "Breakfast is ready."

"Great." Bella said. Charlie and Blake came downstairs.

"Hi baby!" Nicole said as she lifted up her son. "Hungry?" Blake nodded, gleefully. Nicole set him in his high chair. "So, I have a favor to ask you guys." Nicole started.

"What?" Charlie asked.

"Carlisle wants to go somewhere to celebrate our engagement." Nicole explained. "Would you guys be willing to watch Blake for next week?"

"Of course, Nic." Bella said.

Nicole looked at her father, who nodded. "Thank you guys." Nicole said.

After they finished eating, Nicole brought Blake to daycare and headed to work.

Later that evening, Nicole had put Blake to bed and was cleaning up downstairs.

"Nicole, could I talk to you for a moment?" Charlie asked.

"Sure." Nicole said. "About what?"

"About this trip you're going on with Carlisle." Charlie replied.

"What about it?" Nicole asked.

"Where are you guys going?" Charlie asked.

"His family owns an island in Brazil, so he thought it would be a good idea to go there." Nicole explained.

"Please be careful." Charlie said.

Nicole could see where he was going with this." "Dad, I have a son. I think it's too late to have the sex talk with me." She said. "And I'm an adult."

"Yes, you have a son and you are an adult." Charlie said. "But, you're still pretty young. And if you end up in the same situation."

"Dad." Nicole interrupted.

"He's not pressuring you, is he?" Charlie asked.

"Dad!" Nicole said. "Carlisle's not like that."

"Well, I'm sure you thought that about Brandon and look what happened." Charlie said.

"Carlisle's nothing like Brandon." Nicole said. "Are you not happy that I'm engaged?"

"That's not it, Nicole." Charlie said. "I am happy for you and I think Carlisle's great."

"Because you've been really quiet about the whole thing since I told you." Nicole continued.

"Just promise me that you'll be careful." Charlie said.

"I'll be careful." Nicole said.

"Thank you." Charlie said.

Nicole headed upstairs. When she walked into her room, she saw Carlisle there. "Please tell me you didn't hear any of that." Nicole said.

"I didn't hear a thing." Carlisle said.

"You're a terrible liar." Nicole said.

"He's just worried about you." Carlisle said. "I understand that."

"I know." Nicole said. They were both quiet for a moment. "You want to ask about who Brandon is, don't you." Nicole asked.

"You don't have to tell me." Carlisle said.

"He's Blake's father and that's all I want to say about him right now." Nicole said.

"You know I would never pressure you about anything, right?" Carlisle asked.

"I know." Nicole said. "I love you."

"I love you, too." Carlisle said, kissing her on the forehead.

Nicole got into her bed, cuddled up to Carlisle, and fell asleep.