Chapter 16

A few hours went by. They had been driving through the night and were headed to Phoenix. Jasper pulled up to a hotel. "We'll stay here for a little bit." He said, parking in a spot. They all got out and walked into the hotel. Jasper paid for a room and they walked up to it. Nicole went into the bathroom to change her clothes. A little bit later, they were all sitting around.

Just then, they heard Alice gasp. "What is it, Alice?" Jasper asked. "What do you see?"

"The tracker." Alice said. "He changed course."

"Where is he going?" Jasper asked as he gave her a pencil and paper.

"A room full of mirrors." Alice said as she drew on the paper.

"Edward said the visions weren't always certain." Bella said.

"She sees the course people are on while they're on it." Jasper explained. "The vision changes as the course changes."

"So, the tracker is going to a ballet studio?" Bella asked. Nicole looked at the drawing to see her old ballet studio.

"You know this place?" Alice asked, looking up.

"Bella and I used to take lessons when we were kids." Nicole replied.

"Was it here in Phoenix?" Jasper asked.

"Yes." Bella answered.

Just then, her phone rang. "Edward." She said. After talking with Edward for a little bit, she held the phone out to Nicole. "Carlisle wants to talk to you." Bella said.

Nicole took the phone from her sister. "Hello?" She answered.

"Nicole." Carlisle said.

"Carlisle." said Nicole.

"Hey." Carlisle said. "We're coming to get you and Bella. Everything's going to be ok."

"Blake." Nicole started to say.

"Charlie and Blake are fine." Carlisle assured her. "Esme's been keeping an eye on them. Charlie took Blake to daycare and he's at work right now." Nicole sighed with relief. "I'll see you soon." Carlisle said.

"Be careful." Nicole said.

"I will." Carlisle said. "I love you."

"I love you, too." Nicole said before hanging up and handing the phone back to Bella.

A little bit later, they were getting ready to leave. Alice and Jasper were in the lobby checking out while Bella and Nicole were packing their bags, when Bella got a phone call. It sounded like she was talking to their mom, until Bella started panicking.

Nicole waited until Bella got off the phone. "Bella, what's going on?" She asked.

"James has Mom at that ballet studio." Bella said. "I know you're not on the best terms with Mom, but I have to go save her."

"I'll go with you." Nicole said.

"No. I don't want you getting hurt. And he told me to go alone." Bella said.

"I'm not going to let you go alone." Nicole said. Plus, despite the fact that she wasn't on good terms with her mother, she still cared about her and didn't want her to be in danger.

"Ok." Bella said.

Nicole and Bella headed down to the lobby. They made sure that Alice and Jasper weren't looking, before they got in a cab. As they rode in the cab, Nicole was trying keep her anxiety under control. She couldn't be freaking out right now.

When they got to the ballet studio, Bella paid the driver and they ran inside. They heard talking and tried to figure out where it was coming from. They opened a closet and found an old video of Bella, Nicole, and their mom. They heard laughing them behind them and turned around see James standing there.

"Aww, that's my favorite part. You two were cute, weren't you." He said to Bella l. "You really made it too easy." He picked up a video recorder and started filming them. "I hope you don't mind, I borrowed this from your house." He said.

Nicole was trying to think of something to distract him from Bella. The only thing she could think of was to use the pepper spray her dad gave her and Bella. It seemed Bella was thinking the same thing because before Nicole could do anything, Bella took her own pepper spray out and used it on James. She sprayed it in James's face and then started to run.

James growled and sped in front of Bella, grabbing her and throwing her into a mirror. Broken pieces of glass went everywhere. He crushed her leg and Nicole heard Bella's agonizing scream.

"Get away from her!" She exclaimed, running towards them.

James turned on Nicole and advanced on her. He pushed her into a wall. He crushed both her arm and leg with his foot. Nicole screamed in pain. James placed a foot on her chest to keep her from getting up. The pressure of his foot on her chest caused her to scream again. He bent down close to her neck and bit into it. Nicole let out a third scream. She heard voices and then saw Carlisle over her.

"Carlisle." She said, almost inaudible.

"I'm right here, Nicole." Carlisle said.

"Is she ok?" Alice asked, coming over to them.

"Do you have anything else to use as a tourniquet?" Carlisle asked. "She's losing too much blood."

"I have a scarf." Alice said.

"That'll work." Carlisle said.

"Bella." Nicole said. She attempted to get up, but Carlisle stopped her. 

"Don't get up, Nicole." He said. "Bella's alright."

Nicole could feel her neck burning and screamed.

"Nicole, what's wrong?" Carlisle asked. "My neck is burning." Nicole said. The two vampires looked at the bite on Nicole's neck.

"Now go." Carlisle said to Alice. "I can handle this."

"Are you sure?" Alice asked.

"Go Alice." Carlisle said. Alice walked away.

Carlisle sighed and looked down at Nicole. "It's going to be ok, Nicole." He assured her. "I'll make the pain go away." The last thing Nicole saw before she blacked out was Carlisle kneeling beside her and sucking the venom out of her.