The Kartal mansion

Emine Kartal had everything she needed.

She had shares in the Kartal export company and owned a private yacht and a villa in Maldives. She was a well-known socialite and most of all, she was respected, because she was married to a Kartal.

Emine looked at the empty side of her bed. Her husband- Duman, the eldest son of the Kartal family, woke up early in the morning everyday, had his tea by himself and disappeared into his precious library, where he spent days reading and making notes. He came downstairs only for meal times or when he wanted to read stories to Lalam and Burak- Altan's son.

He was also agoraphobic. He hadn't set foot outside the mansion in nearly thirty years.

Emine knew that Duman loved her. He had never raised his voice at her, never made her feel less than perfect. He showered her with gifts and wrote marvelous poems about her beauty, using words like "sun kissed" and "angelic". He always looked at her like he couldn't believe that she was his wife. Despite his other short givings, he had been steadfast in his affection.

She glanced at their wedding pictures on the bedside table. Duman had missed out on most of the dark genes of Kartals. Instead, he was sandy haired, with pale amber eyes. His overall ochre and brown colouring made him look like a washed out sepia photograph. Next to him, Emine looked like she'd stepped out of a summer catalog with her brilliant hair and her red lipstick.

She had always been brilliant next to her husband. One couldn't have everything one wanted. She threw away beauty and desire for comfort and security and she didn't regret a thing. Besides, beauty faded with time.

Emine got up and pampered herself for the day. Long sleeved designer dress paired with black Jimmy Choos. Hair brushed away from her face and tucked back with a gold pin. She looked at herself in the mirror. She suddenly remembered something her late mother used to say.

"If you can't have the best in life, you should be the best".

Her mother had been a wise woman.

She walked down the passage, enjoying the warmth of sunlight on her skin. Kartal mansion, full of arches and secret corridors was a sight to behold. There were some doors that didn't even open up to her. Some paths were locked with hidden keys. The woods around the mansion was closed off to anyone but family- in which she'd been a part for almost fifteen years.

When she entered the dining room, the younger Kartal brothers were already there along with Levent- their cousin from the paternal side. Kartal senior was only punctual for dinner, because going up and down in a wheelchair was apparently tiresome, even with a lift.

Emine took her seat. Only Levent acknowledged her with a smile. Altan was sipping his tea, deep in thought and Demir was engrossed in his iPad.

"Good morning", she said signalling for one of the maids to pour her coffee. "I have good news. My brother and sister will be coming tomorrow. They'll stay here for a while".

"Good", Altan said, still distracted. "They're always welcome here"

"Where did they go this time?" Levent asked. Young in the sense of Demir, Levent Kartal spent his time managing the family estates and throwing away money on women and expensive vehicles. Apparently, he had one of the biggest car collections in Istanbul.

"Melek went on a tour of Europe while Ferit stayed home", Emine replied. "You know Ferit, always a little lethargic. He's doing a course on hospitality management, I think. He's planning to open a restaurant"

Levent nodded. They made their way through breakfast in silence, for a while.

Then Demir decided to break the silence by punching the table top.