Seray

Even the thick blanket someone had flung over my shoulders, couldn't keep the cold out.

I wrapped my fingers around the steaming coffee mug. The caffeine helped to cut off the numbness in my heart.The reports had come around two o'clock in the morning. The body- the twisted, bluish body in the ditch didn't belong to Kaya.

The relief I'd felt had been so profound, I'd almost blacked out. Then it was soon followed by guilt. Two girls were dead. I shouldn't be feeling happy. I shouldn't be feeling this happy, but I couldn't help it. Death had been a part of my life for as long as I could remember, you'd think that I would be used to it by now. But even the thought of losing Kaya was enough to incapacitate me.

The police precinct was buzzing with activity. Marlon- Kaya's friend, was pawing through a fat folder, spilling paper everywhere in his haste. From time to time, he would cast me a worried look. He'd sent Safet packing last night, after he'd almost punched him for disturbing an officer on duty. He let me stay, though.

Maybe it had to do with the fact that I refused to budge from this place, untill I found out that my sister was alright.

I finished the coffee and glanced at the man sitting next to me.

"Thank you," I said. "You had to go to all this trouble, because of me. You didn't have to do that."

Karan flashed his teeth humorlessly. "Don't thank me. I just did what Demir asked me to do. Kartals pay me good money to handle stuff like this."

I looked up. Demir stood next to Marlon, deep in conversation with the cop who'd been at the lake last night. He turned and our eyes met across the precinct floor, and an inexplicable rush of emotions surged through me. I averted my eyes quickly.

"Well, thank you anyway." I said.

Karan inclined his head politely. Demir broke off from the group and made his way towards us.

"Everyone is on high alert. Squads are dispatched to every corner of the city," he said. "They'll find your sister."

If she was still alive ...

He rubbed at his eyes. "Come on, let's get you home."

I shook my head. "I'm staying here. I can't relax until I'm sure that my sister is alright," I paused. "But you don't have to stay. You've been here all night. You must be tired."

He blew out an exasperated breath and leaned down to whisper something in Karan's ear, that I couldn't catch. Karan stood up, nodded at both of us and took his leave.

Demir sat in his vacated spot.

"It's going to be a long day," he commented.

It was a long day. By the end of it, we had no choice but to go home or be forcefully hauled out of the precinct and get a police escort back to the mansion. I was exhausted and worried and I would do anything to know that Kaya was fine.

"I'll tell Sonya to send your dinner up to your room," Demir said, studying my face. I shook my head.

"No, I'm fine," I halted at the foot of the stairs and looked back. In the silent mansion, under the bright chandelier light, Demir looked drawn. Again, I could feel the same surge of emotions from earlier. Gratitude and...a little something else?

"Thank you," I said sincerely. "For everything you did today...and last night. You network really was faster than the cops."

"I'll have to give Karan a pay raise," he said. "He doesn't come cheap."

I stared at him, until I noticed the faint twinkle in his steel gray eyes. Was he actually joking?

An involuntary smile tugged at my lips. "I'll chip in. I hope he'll accept gift cards to an expensive nail salon?"