Seray

Gunshots exploded behind me, sending fresh waves of fear through my whole body.

My knees burned as I ran through the foggy forest, roots reaching for my feet like outstretched hands. Heart pulsing with every step I took, I heaved myself over an old log and kept running. Infront of me, the forest cleared into a small meadow.

I stumbled against a tree and tried to catch my breath. The pounding in my ears were so loud, I couldn't even hear the footsteps of my two pursuers. I whirled around.

The woods seemed almost empty- the sounds were all muted but I couldn't hear the gunshots anymore. Was Demir alright? He'd fared well when those men broke into the mansion- but he hadn't been injured then, like he was now. I leaned against the tree and tried to get my bearings. He had to be alright. There was no trace of men who'd been following me, so maybe I'd lost them too. I just had to calm down and find him.

It happened so fast, one moment I was standing up, the next I was on my back, wind knocked out of me in a painful crash. I gasped. A shadow leaned over me and someone grasped my chin, turning my face to the light.

"She's pretty fast for someone so small", a voice said near my head.

I struggled against the hands pining me down, but the strap of my own purse was biting into my chest, making it harder for me to breath. Two hands pulled me roughly up to my feet and the world came into focus again.

The man who was holding me was dark haired and dark eyed, scarred face looking like it was summoned straight from my nightmares. For a moment I stared at him, petrified.

He grinned, revealing two cracked teeth.

"Oh, this is going to be good..." He said.

He pushed me back, straight into the arms of another man. I lost my footing and fell against him, while he laughed like a maniac. I bit back a growl. This could NOT be happening to me.

Steeling myself, I kicked backwards causing the man to yelp and lose his grip on me. As the fist of the man with the cracked teeth came sailing towards me, I ducked out of the way. The two men went down in a tangle of limbs and dust.

Before they could get up, I turned and started running straight towards the meadow. Just over the meadow, there was a strip of trees and beyond it, I could see the occasional vehicle moving across the road. I just had to get there.

My left side ached from the impact and my legs kept sliding under me, but I could feel the anger simmering inside me, over the choking fear that kept me going. I was NOT going to be collateral damage in someone else's war.

"Come here, you little fool!"

Fingers clamped around my hair and I screamed, tears springing into my eyes. Again, I was pulled back and bodily thrown on to the ground. I kicked outward, frantically.

"Let me go!"

Stars blinked into existence across my vision. The scar faced man pinned my flailing hands to the dirt on either side of my head, spewing a string of expletives at me.

"After they're done with you, I'll kill you myself!" He spat.

I gritted my teeth and threw my weight against him, trying to loosen his hold on me.

"Ali, come here and hold down her legs!", The man said hoarsely and a fresh wave of panic washed over me. "We've caught a wild cat!"

"Let me go!" I screamed again.

There was a thud and suddenly, the man flew sideways releasing a strangled cry. I blinked. Scuffles and cursing echoed around me. Someone pulled on my leg and I kicked up blindingly. There was a pained yell after my foot connected with something solid. The grip on me was loosened.