Demir

A funeral march would have been more cheerful than this car ride.

I shifted the gear and glanced into the rearview mirror. Lalam was fast asleep, pressed against her aunt's side, hands knotted under her chin. A soft smile curved her lips. She was happy that she was coming back to the mansion. She'd been talking nonstop about all the toys she owned, the flowers in the garden and the horses in the stable throughout the whole ride.

I was happy that she was coming back too. Only she came with a piece of unwanted luggage.

My eyes travelled up. Between the two of them, she was the only one who was happy to return to our place.

Seray was staring out of the window, mouth pressed into a thin line. She hadn't spoken since she climbed into the vehicle, only answering to Lalam with tight-lipped smiles. I could clearly see the hopelessness and the disgust in her eyes. Her aunt and her sister had been suspicious of her decision, I could tell. She probably hadn't told them anything about the threat.

Even if she did, there was nothing they could do, anyway.

Altan followed my gaze and sighed.

"Is there anything you want, Miss Seray? Anything at all, before going to the mansion? We can stop anywhere along the way"

Her dark eyes met mine in the rearview mirror and for a second they flared like twin flames. I could feel her dislike towards me. I scowled.

Lucky for her, I didn't care about anyone's feelings.

She resumed her sightseeing. "No, thank you"

We spent the rest of the ride in silence. Lalam woke up when we turned to the mansion lane. She looked around disoriented, curly hair a mess around her small heart shaped face.

"Oh, we're here!" She exclaimed. She patted her aunt's hand. "You'll love it here. There's a huge kitchen and we can make all the cookies and cupcakes we want!", She blinked. "Mrs Rani will let us use the kitchen, won't she?"

Altan smiled at her. "Of course she will, sweetheart"

"And we can sleep next to each other", she said. "In the same room! And you can sing me to sleep like you did, back at the Magpie Nest"

"Magpie Nest?" I asked, baffled. Lalam nodded, enthusiastically.

"That's what they call auntie's house", she said. "Isn't that name beautiful?"

I regarded the said aunt. "Eagles eat magpies for breakfast, Lalam"

Seray ignored me. Altan shot me a harassed look and turned to Lalam.

"Sweetheart", he said. "Your aunt has a separate room. It's right next to yours, you don't have to worry. She'll be staying with us for a while so she has to be comfortable, right?"

Lalam watched him with restless eyes. "How long is ' a while '?"

For the first time, Seray gave her a genuine smile. "As long as you want, darling"

"Forever?" Lalam asked.

Her smile died a swift death. I tried not to roll my eyes.

"Family stays with you forever, Lalam", I said. "Don't wait for anyone else to stick around unless you want to be sorely disappointed"

Seray made an angry sound in the back of her throat. Altan glared at me.

"Demir!"

I smirked. I could feel her freezing gaze on me. She pulled Lalam towards her and kissed her on the forehead.