The Kartal mansion

Emine Kartal looked around her beloved living room. When she'd been a new Kartal bride, Cahil had let her decorate the room to her taste- so she'd feel more comfortable this far away from her home in Ankara.

Money hadn't been a problem. She'd imported the best Persian rugs and Indian materials for drapes. The furniture was artfully carved down to the smallest detail. The knickknacks had been brought from all over the world, ceramic vases from Japan, jade ornaments from China and tiny, painted dolls from Russia... Even the chandelier was custom made.

Now, the grandeur of the room seemed to pale next to the expressions of its occupants.

Seray sat on one of the cushions, hands tucked under her chin, staring off into the space. With her perfectly straight black hair, clothes of muted colours and the blank expression, she looked exactly like a doll. Demir paced the floor restlessly, hands clenched at his sides. Clad in a black shirt and black jeans, with his even blacker mood, he was an omen of death in human form. From time to time, his eyes flickered to Seray, his expression unreadable.

Altan looked the worst. He'd punched the disgraceful tutor and for a change, his knuckles were split now, blood caked on his skin. Earlier Emine had witnessed the police taking Ihsan away, broken nose and cut lip looking hideous from far away. She was surprised that Altan let him go this easily- if it were up to Demir, he'd probably kill the guy on the spot.

Altan passed a hand over his face. He looked way older than his thirty eight years, the gray in his hair seemingly more prominent. Emine felt a sliver of pity for the man. Bahar's death had left festering wounds in both her son and her husband. When those wounds seemed to scab over as the time passed, the latest incident had hooked its fingers into them.

"How did you know?" He asked looking up at Seray. "That something like this was happening?"

She blinked. "I didn't know. I was in the library for... something else and I heard Burak crying"

Altan closed his eyes briefly. "God knows how long this has been going on..."

Demir sank into the chair next to him. " But you already knew it, didn't you? That there was something unusual about the child?"

All of them turned to look at Seray. She squirmed under their inquisitive gazes.

"Wasn't it obvious? He's alone all the time. He rarely smiles. He doesn't play, doesn't speak up. And all those..." She trailed off when she noticed their stunned expressions. "I mean, it was obvious to me, because I work with children"

Altan leaned forward, hands clenched atop his knees, his gaze unfocused.

"I should have paid more attention to Burak. I should have been more careful when I chose his tutors. I should have..." He punched the table top. "All my fault. How can I ever look into his eyes again?"

Seray glanced up. Currently Burak was soundly asleep in his room, after a mild sedative his doctor had given him. Ihsan apparently had been careful not to break skin that deep, but the doctor had decided that some wounds were weeks old.

"Maybe you should take him to a doctor", she said. "A child psychologist perhaps? It will be good for him"

"A child psychologist?" Emine echoed. "Is it really necessary? Think about the media commotion it would create!"

Seray blinked slowly. "I'm sorry. Of course, it's not my place to say anything. You knows what's best for him"

"Obviously we don't know what's best for him", Altan said bitterly. "Or else this wouldn't have happened"

He gave the girl a considering look. "Do you think Burak needs professional help? As you said, you work with children"

Seray glanced at Emine. "You should make the decision for him..."

Demir made an impatient noise in the back of his throat. "Just say what you think. You're the person who saved the day after all...."

"Demir!" Altan said in a tired voice. Seray shot him a freezing look and turned to Altan. She knotted her fingers over her lap.

"I think...it would be better if you seek professional help", she said. "These kind of events are very traumatizing for a child. It seems like Mr Ihsan has scared him into silence, otherwise he would have told someone about what was happening to him. There are good psychologists in Istanbul. I can recommend you the doctor I used to visit"

Demir leaned forward, his eyes oddly alight with interest. "You used to visit a psychologist? For what?"

"Why, didn't your extensive research about me tell you that?" Seray snapped. Then she quickly backtracked when she saw Emine's expression.

"I mean, when I was young, I used to have a breathing problem unrelated to any physical defect. I met regularly with a therapist, worked hard and got over it", she looked proud of herself in an innocent way. "So yes. I think a second opinion is always a good idea"

"Burak met with a therapist when..." Emine glanced at Altan. "...when his mother passed away. We had to stop the sessions because the media became unbearable. Oh, you should have seen the mess they created on the internet!"

Seray stared. "Of course. As I said, you people obviously know what's best for your own child"

For some reason, Demir scowled deeply. "We do. I'll ask Zehab to look for a professional psychologist. No need for your recommendations"

He gave Emine a reassuring look. "And we'll arrange house visits so the damned reporters will stay out of our way. Don't worry"

Finally he looked at Altan. "What do you say?"

Altan stood up.

"Yes, do it like that", he looked at Seray. "Thank you. Thank you very much"

The girl widened her eyes like she was surprised that she got gratitude. "Of course. Don't mention it"

They watched as Altan struggled up the stairs, feet dragging and shoulders stooping low. Seray stood up, smoothing the sides of her skirt.

"With your permission", she nodded at them. "I will go to my room"

Without a word, Demir walked out of the door, grabbing his keys from his pocket. Seray gave Emine a fleeting smile and took her leave.

Emine sank into the cushions, with a relieved sigh. In times like these, she was glad that she didn't have children. She called out to the maid and asked for a coffee for herself.