Demir

"Sweetheart, you keep colouring the butterflies, I'll go and bring you some orange juice, alright?"

I watched Seray's disappearing back as I approached Lalam and sat next to her. It was becoming obvious. She'd been avoiding me for the past few days, after the incident in the gym. I once even caught her escaping into the stables when she'd seen me, even though her fear of horses was legendary.

Little did she know, that her attempts at running away were only rekindling my hunting instincts. The more she ran, the more I wanted to keep chasing her.

I ruffled Lalam's hair and stood up.

When I stalked into the kitchen, Seray stood at the kitchen counter, clutching at its edge. Her phone was pressed against her ear.

I realized that something was not right, as soon as I caught the gist of her conversation.

"Why didn't you tell me?" She demanded. "TWO DAYS? How could you not tell me? I'm coming right away!"

"What's wrong?" I asked when she turned back. Her face was unnaturally pale.

"I have to go," she said in a distracted voice.

She pocketed her phone and ran out of the kitchen, making me feel even more bewildered.

I went after her. She kept running down the main path, heedless of the bone chilling weather of the outside. The winter had finally approached, bringing with it a cold so frigid, it froze your breath in your throat. I grabbed her peacoat from the entrance and followed her, quickly.

Seray stood holding the bars of the gate, looking lost.

"What happened?" I asked handing her the coat. She shrugged it on.

"My sister is missing," Her voice was tinged with panic.

"What do you mean, 'missing'?"

"Apparently, she went to a friend's place to study for her exams," she said. "That was two days ago. They're not at the house and none of them are answering their phones."

She pulled the gate open.

"I'm going to go look for her!"

I stepped infront of her.

"Where are you going to look for her?"

"I..." She blinked, seemingly at a loss for words. Then her gaze hardened. "Everywhere!"

I grabbed her arm.

"Wait here. I'll take out my Jeep."

She frowned. "Why?"

"Consider this a payback for saving my life," I said. "Wait for me."

I left, with her looking after me in a baffled way.

A moment later, we were in my Wrangler, wading through the Istanbul traffic. I glanced at Seray.

"Where are you now?" She was talking on her phone. "Did you talk to her cop friend- Marlon something?"

There was a pause.

"Thank you. I'm on my way."

We pulled into the parking lot of Kerem's old recording studio. Seray's red haired friend- Safet, stood at the entrance, hands pushed deep into his pockets. He frowned when he noticed me.

"Seray," he called. "What is he doing here?"

I snorted. At least my dislike for the guy was subtle.

"He's helping," Seray said, shortly. "Where's my aunt?"

"At the police station, filing a missing person complaint," he answered.