Chapter Twelve: The Call of Cthulhu

As nauseating as it was for Si to admit, the Malfoys really knew how to throw quite the extravagant party, even if it did have their morbid sense of haute couture with everyone dressed in black

As nauseating as it was for Si to admit, the Malfoys really knew how to throw quite the extravagant party, even if it did have their morbid sense of haute couture with everyone dressed in black. More like haunt couture, Si thought to herself. It was only by the grace of luck (and her knowledge of Malfoys) that she came to the shindig in her own black, mid-cut dress.

"Excuse me, young lady?" one of the gentlemen in attendance approached her.

She turned in his direction and received the shock of her life when she found herself standing face-to-face with the famed author himself, H.P. Lovecraft. His appearance was just as dignified (if not a little melancholic) as in his old photographs with his pursed lips and long chin.

"Do you happen to know what the time is?" he asked her.

Si could hardly believe he was even there – in Louisiana of all places. "I-It, uh...i-it's almost eight o'clock...I-I think," she stammered.

"Oh, yes, I see now," Lovecraft said, looking past Si at a nearby grandfather clock that, sure enough, chimed eight times only a minute after Si verified it. "Thank you so much, my dear." He was just about to walk away before he gazed questionably on Si. "Aren't you a little young to be here? Are you here with your parents?"

Si hesitated to respond. Her youthful appearance once again ensnared her in an awkward predicament that she had to be creative in getting out of. "I'm a friend of the Malfoy family," she told Lovecraft. "I'm friends with Draco, Lucius and Narcissa's son."

"Ah, yes," Lovecraft remarked. "I met him earlier today. A rather troubled boy."

"You have no idea," Si muttered under her breath.

"I beg your pardon?" Lovecraft inquired.

Si was spared in having to repeat her comment when Lucius Malfoy beckoned from a short distance away, "Mr. Lovecraft! If you would be so kind to join us in the dining hall. We'd love to introduce you to some other special guests we've invited."

"Uh, y-yes," Lovecraft acknowledged the invitation. "I'm on my way." He returned his attention on Si and said, "Enjoy your evening, young lady."

"You, too, Mr. Lovecraft." Si kept her attention on the author as he joined with Lucius Malfoy, who escorted him out of the ballroom and into the dining hall.

" Si kept her attention on the author as he joined with Lucius Malfoy, who escorted him out of the ballroom and into the dining hall