Chapter Nine: The Seduction of Bubba Joe

The Time War began to feel more appeasing to Penz. The hillbillies Lucius Malfoy hired to keep all the black men working in the catacombs were as ruthless as the Daleks back in the war. There were very few breaks (water only, no food) and not a single day given to rest. Penz could take it for as long as he could manage – his Time Lord biology allotted him a level of endurance extended past typical human limitations. But that's not to say he was without his own.

            Still in his original incarnation, Penz had yet to experience the blessing (or curse, depending how one looks at it) of regeneration

Still in his original incarnation, Penz had yet to experience the blessing (or curse, depending how one looks at it) of regeneration. In his default form, his body – that of what Earth humans would perceive as a 33-year-old African American male – was virtually made out of stone. Even the most fit among the slaves he worked with questioned where he got such a physique. "Workin' hard...dat's all," he told them.

He hated talking like an illiterate. It was part of his cover as "Harris," one of the poor black men recruited to dig beneath Malfoy Manor...dig beneath the congregation of the high-class white folk of Baton Rouge that were invited to the Malfoys' evening party. He could hear them up there, laughing and conversing while black men were working themselves to death...literally.

All these slaves, young and short, were just working as food for Cthulhu.

It was the entire reason Penz and his big brother, Aznavorian the Tinkerer, came to Louisiana of 1929: to investigate the possibility of Cthulhu itself living somewhere under the foundation of Malfoy Manor. The surge of energy they detected from Aznavorian's TARDIS had to have come from the "Great Old One" of Lovecraftian legend. They just didn't count on it coming from the one time and place that wasn't exactly friendly to black men like themselves.

Neither did they count on one of the regenerations of Neas, Aznavorian's daughter (and Penz's niece), coming to the same time and place. She called herself "Alicia" in this form, a black woman with skin slightly lighter than Penz's (much lighter than Aznavorian's "Skeeta" incarnation) and a body just as chiseled as his. Bubba Joe and his posse did a number on her, prior to throwing her into the pit with them. Her face and body was bruised and scarred. Penz could see the mark left on her throat from where they hanged her – not long enough to kill her, but long enough to beat her close to death.

 Penz could see the mark left on her throat from where they hanged her – not long enough to kill her, but long enough to beat her close to death