Chapter Eight: Reunion

It wouldn't have been long now before Si, her friends from Hawkins, Jake, Hellboy, and the Doctor finally arrived in 1929 Louisiana. The trip seemed to have taken longer than usual, possibly due to the Doctor's TARDIS being the one barreling across the infinite dimensional corridor, and not Si's more compatible Type-Z model. She gave the Doctor lots of credit for coming up with the idea of using the Type-Z as a generator, keeping his Type-40 from shattering to pieces.

Si figured she'd change out of her 1980s clothes and into something more adventurous (that included sunshades) and then grab a quick bite from the kitchen of the Doctor's TARDIS, hoping he still had some Jelly Babies in the nearest cupboard (it'd literally been centuries since she had one). Arriving there, she noticed Lucas sitting at the counter, stirring a bowl of what looked like a flavor of ice cream but not exactly eating it.

 Arriving there, she noticed Lucas sitting at the counter, stirring a bowl of what looked like a flavor of ice cream but not exactly eating it

"Hey, Lucas," Si greeted on her way in. "Surprised you were able to find where the kitchen is."

"Why? 'Cause I always depend on someone else's help?"

Si detected his snooty tone but chose to ignore it. "No, I just meant..."

"I know what you meant. That Jake guy helped me to find it." He'd been giving her the cold shoulder ever since the incident back in the bingo hall with that "Billy" kid.

Still, Si chose to ignore it, opting instead to focus on something more positive: "Well, I have some good news about Hellboy – he's still unconscious but recovering well."

"Yippee," Lucas said derisively. That, of course, was where Si drew the line.

"Alright, Lucas. What's going on?" she asked, maintaining her composure as she removed her sunshades. "What's this lil' attitude of yours all about? What did I do wrong?"

"It's nothing – forget it!" Lucas attempted to storm out of the kitchen, leaving his bowl of ice cream behind, but Si blocked his hasty exit. Needless to say, Lucas didn't appreciate her caging him in. "Get out of my way!"

"Not 'til we've talked about this!"

"You're not my mom, Si! Don't make me kick your ass!"

Si's posture stiffened and straightened at his threat. She almost appeared to have gotten a few inches taller than Lucas as she shot a look towards him that was unforgivingly intimidating. No longer was he looking into the eyes of a teenaged girl, but someone else he had never met before...someone with a killer instinct...someone who could've been the real "Gladiator of Gallifrey."

"You really want to test me that way, Lucas?"

Lucas backed away slowly (perhaps fearfully) and Si relaxed. She didn't actually intend on fighting Lucas and was glad that he chose not to. "I just wanna talk, hon," she told him, her tone much softer. "Tell me what's wrong."