Pre-Gaming

I throw three knives at once. They each land through the hearts of all three annoying clucking chickens.

"Clove, you're excellent with a knife or these dumb animals, but that kind of hesitation is gonna get you killed when you're in the arena." Ms. Kensington, my personal Hunger Games trainer tell me. Here in District 2, we have training schools, where we master a weapon of choice, study previous games, and eventually kill. live targets, like these chickens here, all in preparation for when our coaches, public and personal, collectively decide which girl and boy will compete in the Hunger Games when deemed ready.

"IF I'm ever in the arena." I shoot back. I'm just hoping that by the time I'm 16 and eligible for bringing pride to my District, somebody else will overtake me, or I'll just play dumb. Anyone younger than that rarely ever gets selected.

"I meant what I said. Clove Clarke, you have been chosen as the tribute for District 2. Volunteer, or, well, the Capitol won't exactly spare you."

"Ms. Kensington, WHAT!? Tell me that you're joking, PLEASE tell me that you're joking, I'm only 15!" WHAT!? How could this happen, and why me?

"Clove, do you understand what I'm saying? You're the one that will bring us and yourself riches!"

"But Ms. Kensington, I might never come back!" I start sobbing.

"Oh, Clove. I thought you'd be happy, and I'll do all I can to get you out of this, but by now I think that you're going to be stuck doing this." Ms. Kensington hugs me, and I cry into her shoulder. Later, Jenny Little gets reaped.

"I volunteer as tribute."

"Now for the boys. Derek Moore."

"I volunteer as tribute." No, not Cato Hadley!

Memories flood my mind:

It was a lonely night training. I was throwing knives at the moving, agile targets, when I heard screams. Screams of wild dogs, a capitol mutt gone loose, a plan to kill us, but mostly just wild dog. I grab my knives and kill ten, but one of them gets me. He bites my right arm, and now I'm howling in pain. But then Cato, out of nowhere, and stabs the last one with his sword. I wan t to thank him, tell him how grateful I am, but then he's gone.

Oh well. The better odds are that another career would kill him, District 1 or 4. 

I'm still betting on Cato if I can, though.