Getting Up Close and Personal With my Enemies

When it's time to get ready for job interviews, Raven does my hair in the same high bubble ponytail, gives me heavy, dark eye makeup with neutral lips and lots of highlight, and gives me a tight, sleeveless orange, satin, wrap body con dress dress to wear, paired with black stilettos. She's told me to be myself, with sassiness and dark humor to wow everyone. 

This year, Caesar Flickerman's color is blue. A lot better than the time he wore red and appeared to be bleeding, but not exactly complimentary to my dress. Oh well. 

Glimmer shows up, straight, long, wavy hair blowing in a tight, see-through glittery dress with a HIGH slit. 

"Damn, girl, your stylist tryna get you a date before we die?" She laughs at my comment.

"Wow. Glimmer, you look- dazzling!" Marvel exclaims, in awe.

"The angle my mentor wanted to go for was sexy, but that works too." She laughs. District 1 is rich and all, but their naming needs an upgrade! Last year the girl tribute was Sparkle!

"You look AWESOME Clove, but why orange?" Glimmer inquires.

"I think-"

"It's like sandstone, one of our main exports." Cato interrupts.

"Cato, I was just fine explaining it myself, you really don't need to get this involved in my life." I snap.

"Sheesh." Marvel mutters under his breath.

"Oh, don't gimme that!" I playfully punch him in the arm, and the tense mood dissolves as we all laugh. I see the girl from 12, Katniss I think, glare at us. "Mind your own business, twelve!" That gets her to look away for the rest of the interview.

"What scores did we all get again, after private training?" Marvel questions.

"I have a 9, Marvel has a 9, Cato has a 10, and Clove has a 10!" Glimmer exclaims.

"But Thresh got a 10, too, boy from 11, we should ask him to join the pack." Cato states, matter-of-factly.

"Already tried, said no," I say, "And Katniss from 12 got the 11, but we shouldn't associate with her, she's one of those coal miners, the game makers were probably just drunk when they scored her." I get another laugh out of them. Then the tributes from four walk over.

"I'm Marina, this is Max, we're careers too, don't leave us out!" The girl, Marina declares.

"Weren't planning to. We were just discussing our training scores." Cato says. 

"I have an 8, Marina here got an amazing 9!"

***

When it's my turn, I sit powerfully on the cushy couch provided for us tributes. 

"Well, Clove, what do you think of this year's careers?" Caesar asks.

"Strong and stuff, but their stylists must have been tryna get them hookups or something!" Even District 4 tributes were wearing fishnet mesh-type outfits. The audience laughs.

"Well, who's waiting for you to come home?"

"My mom and dad, my mom's pregnant, and I need to go back and meet my sibling." That earns an aww from the crowd. 

"What's your favorite part of the Capitol."

"The fact that I can drink vodka at 15." More giggles. "And the showers, but if you press the wrong button when you're sleepy, you'll burn, freeze, and get scratched to death, all while smelling like a lavender meringue pie, apparently." Some people are wheezing with laughter, since they can relate. "Speaking of, do I still smell like lavender?" And we have a funny bit smelling each other, until he asks me a question.

"Now, we only have time for one more question, but how will you win?" 

"Easily. Just wait and see the strategies I'm playing at! My main concern is that no strapless was provided for this interview, so us girls might have a disadvantage in the games!" Girls timidly laugh.

"Alright, folks. Clove Kentwell!" And after one last big cheer, I sashay backstage, erring on the side of mystery.

But really, any of these careers have the same skill levels as me, and I might die soon.

That night, I don't sleep a wink.

A/N

Thanks so much for reading! Just wanna let you know that I put a lot of work into this specific chapter, and that there WILL be more with the District 4 tributes. I went on a LOT of fan sites to get their names, so please keep reading!

-BookLoversForever13