BETTING ON HORSES

When my prep team see me for the first time, they're shocked.

"Finally! One who looks reasonable!" One of them commented.

"Just a bath and girl, you're ready!" Another added.

After they were done with the lavender scrubs and lemon shampoo and jasmine bubble mix, they gave me a soft, fuzzy purple robe to wear. Then a young woman with half her hair shaved and turquoise tips on it came in, wearing a matching leather catsuit.

"The name's Raven. District 2's masonry, right?" I nodded. "So I was thinking, different precious stones embellish a like, asymmetrical black midi dress with one sleeve. And for a Japanese bad girl aesthetic, a like, high bubble pony, and of course, black, smoky makeup."

"Yes!" My hair's long enough for that to look good, and I like the aesthetic. 

***

After I'm ready, they place me on the chariot with Cato, who's wearing a black gladiator outfit. He looks me in the eye.

"Listen, Clove, I heard you didn't wanna volunteer, I'm sorry." He says, sympathetically. But I'm still a brutal killer, I can't just play people as an innocent little girl, I'm a career!"

"Sh-sh-sh! I'm fine. Besides, we can't get too emotional anyway, about this whole thing. People watch and bet on us like they bet on horses. At least the horses get some sugar cubes. We can't let our guard down for a second." I snap. He tries to hold my hand, but I slap it away. I left all my emotions at the reaping ceremony. Nobody visited me before I went into the arena, anyway. I think Ms. Kensington was too ashamed to show her face. 

"You look great, by the way."

"Yeah, yeah, tell Raven, she might care."

The chariot ride is awkward, but we're taught how to act likable, so I do as I was trained to. It's a foolproof strategy. I just can't let any emotions get involved. I can, and will, do this. 

Remember, it's just betting on horses.

A/N

Sorry this chapter's so short.

Love,

-BookLoversForever13