24. Choice

TW: Death, disturbing scenes.

While entering the Sel, Kyrie walked hand in hand with Rubinia.

"It is protected by magic. To ensure that no outsiders are allowed in."

Rubinia said so. She had a face that the act of holding her hand was a bit annoying.

The atmosphere in the Sel was different from before. It was a very dark and gloomy atmosphere. There weren't many people passing by.

"Why is the palace like this?"

In response to Kyrie's question, Rubinia looked at her gaze. The garden, where Vallabriga had kept the permanent greenery through the magic of Orewinbridge, had dried up and died.

"Her Majesty's magic."

"Magic?"

"Yes. She seems to be doing something, but I'm not sure. Because I am ignorant of magic."

Because Rubinia's demeanor was too casual, Kyrie realized that she actually knew about the magic. Kyrie moved her steps again.

"People?"

"A lot of people quit or take a leave of absence. In particular, most of the soldiers quit. Well, you probably know."

"What?"

"Don't you know?"

Kyrie blinked her eyes. Rubinia grinned.

"How pampered."

It was definitely Nathaniel's story. Kyrie frowned, but Rubinia moved her steps cheerfully.

(T/N: "how pampered" here means that Nathaniel pampered Kyrie so much that he won't tell her what he is doing behind her back to protect her.)

"Don't feel bad. Because it doesn't mean it's bad. It's just that it's true. No matter what they do, the country, the world, the person who comes up with these words is going to do something, but how can a human understand it all."

She didn't know if it was a consolation or a sarcasm. Kyrie bit her lips. Rubinia glanced behind Kyrie.

"The maid hasn't come. She wouldn't even let me in, but I thought she'd spend a little more time with you."

Kyrie remembered MarryAnne. She had planned to leave in the first place, but MarryAnne first said that she would stay in the mansion.

'I have work to do, miss.'

With a sunken face, Kyrie just nodded without realizing it.

"I left it. Because I can't see anything good."

"Be sharp."

Rubinia, who had been going down to the basement of the royal palace for a while, stopped. Her green eyes became stern.

"Act correctly."

Is it a warning or a concern? Kyrie shifted her gaze to the front.

The door opened. A room full of bizarre magic circles was revealed. It was a brilliant golden color, but at a glance, it was a magic circle with an ominous energy. Dozens of wizards were muttering something around them.

After taking a few steps, Kyrie stopped. In the center of the magic circle was Ginger Orewinbridge.

"Miss Kyrie Buchanan, is here."

Ginger Orewinbridge staggered up and looked dreary as before. Kyrie was internally surprised at her bones that looked like only leather was placed on them.