Chapter 4 - Messy

(Y/n) POV
-

"That's where Claggor got his foot stuck running from Enforcers." Vi says.

I watch as the drunken man stands on one of the boards that rested over the canal.

"They thought it was funny, so they left him there. He was out all night before we found him."

A moment of silence goes by before Vi points towards a billboard. "That sign?"

"You guys see it?"

"Uh-huh." Powder answers.

I nod. "Yeah."

On it is a blocky painted red middle finger.

"Mylo tripper over his own paint bucket and nearly fell off trying to draw a giant middle finger." She chuckles. "His ass made that splotch." Just above one of the knuckles of the finger, is a splotch of red paint, just as Vi said.

Her comment causes me and Powder to laugh.

Powder glances around with the pipe for a few seconds before Vi points to something closer to us. "And that..."

A stuffed rabbit with its upper body stuck between two wires dangles a few feet in front of us.

"When I was a kid, some guy took my favorite toy and threw it up there. I used to come out here at night and stare at it, hoping maybe the wind or a bird might knock it down." Vi stops for a second.

"We've all had bad days." She finishes before continuing. "But we learn. And we stick together." She grabs onto my shoulder--luckily the unhurt one--and squeezes us all together in a side hug, me against Powder, and Powder against Vi.

"Oh, I forgot." Powder speaks up, reaching into her mini bag and pulling out a few of the crystals.

"They're from the apartment." I comment.

"What are they?" Vi asks, causing Powder to take one and look at it closer. "I don't know." She shrugs.

"Should we show Vander?" Powder suggests with a slightly excited tone.

"No." Vi replies with a slightly serious tone.

Powder's smile drops before rising again as Vi leans in with a smile. "Let's keep this our little secret." She gives me the same look.

"Mylo's wrong, Powder, (Y/n). You're both stronger than you think." Vi stands up. "And one day... This city's gonna' respect us."

Me and Powder look up at her in slight awe as she stares across the darkened buildings, only lit by their own house lights.

If you simply stare, it's beautiful.

---

Vi continues to beat up the fighting/boxing robot with speed and agility as the score on the board goes higher and higher.

Claggor stands in the back and watches everyone.

"Remind me why we bother with this dump?" Mylo says, looking into the empty toy gun.

I play the arcade game with a bored expression, huffing as I beat the next level of the game.

"Vander said to lay low. Enforcers never come down here, so this is as good a place as any." Vi answers.

"Oh, what's the matter, Mylo? You worried Powder's gonna' beat you again?" Claggor taunts with a smirk and crossed arms.

"Hey, if she didn't keep fixing these things, I wouldn't keep missing." Mylo retorts.