.Eleven.

**TRIGGER WARNING - Gun, panic, comfort, Cancer(the zodiac kind my apologies on behalf of all Cancerians)**

————————EP———————

*In the hospital room*

Emily held Eva's hand as she struggled to put her emotions into words. "I...I have to start at the very beginning. My birth parents." Eva looked at Emily without lifting her head. Emily knew what she was afraid of.

"Eva, you don't have to worry about me. We're doing this for you. I will never be upset with you for what you share with me. Okay?" Emily said as she lifted Eva's chin up. "I love you. You can be as vulnerable as you want. I am not here to judge you. Only to help and comfort." At this point Emily was wiping tears from her daughters face.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Emily looked to Eva for approval of entry. The girl simply nodded her head slightly. Emily got up to see who it was, but when she got to the door, no one was there. Emily placed a hand on her Glock and peered down the hallway. First looking right and then left. She caught a glimpse of what looked like someone in a white doctors coat, running around the corner away from where she was standing. The agent debated on what her next move was. She didn't want to alarm Eva, but Eva noticed everything anyway. "Who was that? What's going on?" The young girl asked her mother with an uneasy look on her face.

"Oh that? Must have been a mistake." Emily said, trying not to worry her. Emily reached in her pocket for her phone and texted Penelope.

Emily: Hey Pen, can you check the security footage outside Eva's room? Time stamp 1900. Let me know what you see. Thx.

Penelope: Sure thing SugarCakes! Is everything okay?? Do you need us to come upstairs?

"C'mon Mom. I know it was someone. Who was it? Who are you texting?" Emily looked up from her phone. She could tell that Eva was starting to panic so she put her phone away giving her daughter her full attention.

"Honey, I don't know who it was. It was probably just a doctor who knocked at the wrong room. I texted Penelope to check the security cameras. As long as I am here, I'm not leaving your side. Not for a second. Not until I know you're safe. Okay? Do you trust me?" Eva loved that Emily talked to her like she was an adult. She nodded and held out her hand for Emily to take.

"I'm here too. For you. I want you to be safe too. Do you think someone is trying to hurt you through me? Could someone do that? Is this my fault?" Eva asked Emily as she sat down on the hospital bed next to her.

"Honey, we don't even know if anything is going on, but it will never be your fault." Emily stated as she stroked Eva's hair. "I will call the team in, just in case. To make us feel safer. But yes it could be possible. I can't tell you one hundred percent no. I'd be lying. You know how much I love you. Other people do too. They notice it. Because it's real. Sometimes people who want to hurt other people, end up hurting that person's loved ones because they know how much they mean to that person. You're my daughter and nothing will ever change that. My love for you will never change." Emily gives the girl a kiss on the head. Eva tucks her head into Emily's chest. Listening to her mother's heartbeat, she falls asleep.

————————EP———————

*2 hours later*

Eva stirred awake in her mother's arms. Emily hasn't slept much lately. She looked down at her daughter and smiled. "Hey, you can go back to sleep if you want. The team went home a while ago and they aren't back yet." She informed the girl. Eva squeezed Emily tightly.

"Where are they? Did they find out who was at the door?" She asked with worry in her voice. Eva was much like Emily when it came to sleep. It didn't come often, and when it did, it was almost never restful.

"Penelope couldn't tell who the man was in the video. They were checking with the hospital staff to see who was on duty. I guess I shouldn't say the team's not here because Derek is sitting outside the door right now. Guarding, just so we feel safer. Isn't that kind of him?" She said hopefully.

"I guess it is kind of him. But it's not working for you, is it?" Eva asked. Emily looked at her with confusion.

"What do you mean 'not working for me'?" Emily asked her eleven year old.

"Well. This is just me, profiling you." Eva sat up straighter in her hospital bed. Emily looked at Eva and raised her eyebrows anxious to hear her profiling skills or lack there of. "You said that Derek is guarding the door just so that we feel safer. But it's not working for you. I'm a Cancer through and through. I see you Mom. I see YOU." Eva pointed at Emily's heart. "I know you are so grateful to Derek for his partnership with you and the fact that he cares enough to sit outside a hospital room all night, awake, just to make us feel safer. I know you love him for that. But I also know that it's not enough. And that's okay. You only feel safe when you're the one doing the guarding. You trust yourself the most. That's okay ya know?" Emily just stared at Eva with her jaw slightly dropped.

"Hm, I'm not really sure what to say. Keep going, you're a pretty good amateur profiler. A little mini me." Emily joked and smiled to Eva.

"You trust yourself the most but I think you beat yourself up for it. I don't see why, you trusting yourself that much makes me trust you the most too. You're my mom. I learned how to trust from you. I think you had to let down some pretty high walls to let me in so I had someone that I could trust. You were able to do that for me. Why don't you let Derek do that for you. Right now. Just trust that he will watch out for us. After all, he wouldn't be here if he couldn't do the job. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to let his partner down if he has any control over it." Eva said hugging her mom. "Please try to get some sleep Mom. I love you. Infinitely." Eva rested her head on Emily's as she closed her eyes.

"Goodnight my dear daughter. I love you too. Infinitely." Emily whispered. She kissed Eva's forehead and closed her eyes. Five minutes later she fell asleep to the sound of her daughters breathing.
————————EP———————
Word count: 1163