Chapter 1.

CHAPTER ONE

"Melody!" My mother calls me from downstairs. I roll out of my bed and leave the room. I need to do what I can to make sure everything goes perfectly by following my plan. Today is the most important day in my entire eighteen years of life.

"Melody!" She calls again.

"I am awake." I yell back. The pressure built up more and more in my chest with each step to the bathroom, and by the time I start the shower I pray that the anxiety I feel will go away as soon as possible.

All of my life has been a series of tasks in preparation for this day, my first day of college. I spent the last few years nervously anticipating this. From an early age I was taught, trained really, to prepare for my education. It had become this necessity that required an overwhelming amount of preparation and borderline obsession. Every class I chose, every assignment I completed since my first day of high school revolved around getting into college. But not just any college, my mother insisted that I attend Emory university, the same school that she attended. I spent my weekends studying and preparing for this day as my peers were hanging out, drinking, and doing whatever else it is teenagers do to get themselves in trouble. That wasn't me. I wasn't like them. I was the girl who spent her nights studying in her room on her little desk and all her free time went on books and movies. The day my acceptance letter to Emory university came I couldn't have been more excited. I was so proud that all my hard work had finally paid off. I got into the only college I applied for. I had once a thought of leaving Atlanta for college and going to London maybe but eventually decided against it. I like familiarity and routines just like my mother.

The hot water relaxes my strained muscles, taking some of the tension and panic I feel. How long have I been in here? I hurry and wash my hair and body.

I wrap the towel around my wet body, and go to my room. My body shakes as I try to wear my dress, and the war with the zipper makes it even harder for me. I finally win the battle with the zipper and slip my shoes onto my feet. I hurry and leave the room, knowing that my mother is growing more impatient with every minute that passes.

My best friend, Simon, will be here soon to ride up with us. He's a year older than me and will turn twenty soon. He's brilliant and studying medicine at the University of Georgia. We're best friends since I can remember, and our moms are best friends too. I am so thankful that he's promised to visit as often as possible, considering that I won't know a single person at college.

"Melody!"

"I am coming." I yell as I walk down the stairs.

Simon is sitting on the couch in the living room next to my mother, dressed in a white polo shirt and blue jeans, his usual attire. His dark black hair is combed up perfectly.

"Hey," He smiles a perfect smile and stands up to pull me into a tight hug. I will miss the sense of comfort and familiarity he brings with him.

"Hey Simon," I smile a wide smile and get into his arms hugging him tightly. After a few seconds he releases me from his grip.

"Are you ready?" My mother asks.

"Yes just give me a couple of minutes while I fix my hair." I say and make my way to the mirror. Round three of styling my hair ends with a better result than the previous two. with one last glance in the mirror I join Simon and my mother in the living room.

"I will put your bags in the car." Simon offers and picks up the keys from the table. with a quick hug he disappears from the room, bags in hand, and my mother follows him.

As I go outside and walk to the car packed up with my things, I start to feel the nervous build up again. I have no idea what college will be like but suddenly the only thing that worries me is will I make any friends?