Chapter 2.

CHAPTER TWO

The pressure increases with each passing minute as we approach Emory University, and no matter what I try to do I can't relax. I am not even sure what Simon was talking about, but I know he was trying to be as reassuring as possible, and exited for me.

"Here we are!" My mother squeals when we drive through a stone gate and onto the campus.

The first word that comes to mind as we enter campus is wow. It looks just as great in person as it did in the site and brochures, and I am immediately impressed by large and elegant buildings, the huge lawns, and the beautiful colors that cover everything. Confused and exited first year student fill the area, trying to make their way. The size of the campus is big and intimidating, but hopefully after a few weeks I will know where everything is and feel at home. A nice middle aged woman gives me my dorm key and sends me on my way.

"Honey, I want to see your dorm room before we head out. I need to make sure everything's up." She says and flipping her long blonde hair to one shoulder.

"I just can't believe you're in college! My only daughter, my baby, is a college student. I am so proud of you." She whines, dabbing under her eyes, though careful not to mess up her makeup.

Simon follows behind us, carrying my bags as we navigate through the corridors. I am glad that I only brought a few clothes, blanket, bedding, and my favorite books. So Simon doesn't have too much to carry and I won't have too much to unpack.

"Look we're in the wrong hall, it's C we need D." I tell them. Luckily I see down the hall a big D on the wall. "Down here." I instruct and they follow.

"D20." My mother huffs as we are finally in front of the door.

I slide the key into the old wooden door, and it creaks open. The room is small, with two single beds, two desks, and a closet. After a moment my eyes travel to the other side of the room covered with photos of people with piercings and tattoos, music posters, strange signs and paintings are painted on the wall in black, and other weird things I've never heard of in my life. And then there's a girl lying across one bed, she has curly red hair, her ears are covered with all sorts of piercings, her arms are covered in colourful tattoos, and her face is made up with heavy makeup. This is have to be some sort of joke.

"Hey," She says, offering a smile. A smile I find quite friendly. "I am Holly." She sits up on her elbows.

"Hey... I am Melody." I manage to say.

"Hey Melody, nice to meet you. Welcome to Emory University you will love it here." The red haired girl grins wider. Looking at us all she bursts out laughing as she takes in the three horrified expressions in front of her.

Holly walks over, closing the gap between us, and warps her arms around my body. I am surprised by her affection, but I hug her back.

My mother's jaw is wide open, practically on the floor, and Simon moves uncomfortably. Maybe Emory University was a bad decision.

A phone ring sounds just as Simon drops my bags onto the floor. Holly reaches for her bed where her phone lies, and answers the call.

"Fine I am coming." She calls into her phone.

"Melody I have to go, my friends are waiting for me down in the car, but I will be back tomorrow." Holly says, grabbing a heavy black bag from her bed.

"Oh okay." I say and within seconds she exit the room. I let out a long breath. Getting ready for what's going to come now.

"You're getting a new dorm now!" My mother yells as soon as the door clicks shut.

"No mom, I can't switch a room." I sigh. "It's fine." I do my best to hide my nerves. and the last thing I want is my overbearing mother to causing a scene on my first day of college.

"We are going to switch now. You will not be in a room with some girl who smokes and corrupts her body with tattoos and piercings like that!" She shrieks.

"Please mom, let's just see how it goes. I am sure she won't be around much at all anyway." I try to convince her, along with myself. I can't even begin to imagine the mess it would create trying to get a last minute dorm change.

"Absolutely not. We worked too hard for this, and I don't want you to be distracted by anyone."

"Mom this is me that we're talking about. Can you please just trust me? Everything will be fine. I promise." I beg her.

My mother looks around the room again, taking in Holly's side and huffs dramatically before she says.

"Fine." She says, much to my surprise. "But don't think I am happy about it. We're going to have a little talk before I go."