Chapter 17.

JASON

I was breathless. The kiss was sudden. Way too sudden. My body reacted to his touch immediately, trembling against him. My skin heated up as our tongues mingled together and muffled moans escaped my lips. If a kiss would be the thing that could calm Devon down, then so be it. 

I lost track of time. His strong hands travelled to my hips and grabbed them firmly, pressing my small frame against his chest. His body radiated warmth and sense of security my inner omega craved. He growled in my mouth and I felt my knees grow weak. 

But everything ended as soon as Ryder pulled away. I finally opened my eyes, the air around us was warm, thick. I caught a glimpse off his red eyes for a moment before they became normal. Warm brown irises gazing up at my face. I tried to catch my breath, feeling my lips grow swollen. 

"A-are you better now?" I asked in a quiet voice. Devon remained silent for a few seconds and realization flashed before his eyes. He immediately pushed me away and wiped his mouth as if he was disgusted.

That hurt. 

I felt a dull pain in my chest as he turned his back on me. The strong arms that had been on my hips were now on his own waist. I felt him grow frustrated for some reason. 

"Get out." he muttered in a low tone, refusing to look me in the eyes.

"Ryder-"

"I said get the fuck out!" he yelled and I flinched by the powerful yet harsh tone. I didn't want to piss him off further so I quickly stormed out from his bedroom and rushed to my own. As soon as I closed the door, my pack was pressed against it. I was still shaking, his pheromones had gotten to me. Was it because I had recently went through my heat? Possibly. 

Slowly I reached to touch my mouth and closed my eyes. His taste of tobacco and whiskey lingered in my mouth. 

Fuck. This only complicated the things. I wasn't supposed to be here. At least not for long, but why I was slowly growing attached to this place?

RYDER

When morning came, I found myself asleep on the couch facing the large windows of the room. There were bottles of whiskey all around and I felt like a mess. Fortunately, I had no headaches nor anything like that despite the amount of alcohol I had consumed. 

Memories flashed in my head immediately. 

I sat up and began rubbing my forehead, cursing myself out loud. Why was Jason here and why was he trying to put his nose where it didn't belong? What was wrong with me? Why did I kiss him? 

"Goddamnit!" I grunted and flopped back on the sofa, eyes closed. I took a sharp breath as soon as the doors slammed open. 

"It smells like bar in here, " I heard Leo's voice echo and I grunted in response. 

"Get out." I commanded firmly, not bothering to even glance at my brother. 

"Why would I? I left you deal with your emotions last night, today is not happening. Go shower and get dressed. We have work to do."

I frowned at that. Slowly I turned my head around to glare at Leo who was standing at the doorway, leaning casually, arms across his chest. His voice didn't show it, but his face did. Was he concerned about me?

"Fuck off and leave me alone, yeah? Go do your shit. I don't want to get out of this fucking room."

I heard him chuckle and that annoyed me further. I reached for one of the empty bottles and threw it right at him. He dodged it and the bottle crashed into the wall, breaking in million pieces. 

"Tsk, tsk, tsk." Leo shook his head. "Stop moping. Today is Clarissa's funeral."

I perked up, eyebrows furrowed. 

"What? That fast? Did they made the autopsy on her body already?" I asked firmly, finally rising up on my feet. I wobbled a little so I had to grasp on the chair to keep balance. 

"Don't know. It is suspicious as hell. It's as if they wanna just throw her in there with no actual information. Even the media has no clue what is going on. There had been riots in the city as of last night, omegas are furious at the security system and they want to find the killer as soon as possible."

I blinked. 

"Those fuckers." I grunted, immediately thinking of that shitty new Lieutenant. She was possibly doing all this shit. Something had to stay hidden. But what?

"Give me twenty minutes." I muttered out lowly, waving my hand at him to leave the room. 

"Are twenty minutes gonna be enough for you to recover from the fun you had last night?" he quirked an eyebrow and my eyes grew wide. I glared at my brother again who was smirking straight at my face.

"I mean, hey, you bought him here. So you can do what you wanna do to mute your pain that is." he commented, as if taunting me before leaving the room.

"Leo you stupid fucker!" I shouted after him and he just began laughing hysterically at my outburst. I ran my fingers through my hair in pure frustration. I felt helpless. 

LEO