Chapter 18.

The silence in the room was excruciating. 

Both, Leo and Ryder were standing in front of Jason, arms crossed against their chests, deep scowls on their faces. The have been seeking answers from the man sitting in front of them but none were provided. 

Jason was silent, he avoided their burning gazes, fumbling with his fingers. The staff of the house didn't dare to walk into the room even if they had something to do inside, too afraid to face the brothers' wrath which was now focused on the omega.

Leo scratched the back of his head, letting out a frustrated sigh. 

Ryder kept glaring at Jason as so many thoughts raced in his mind. He wanted to shout and break right fucking now. 

RYDER

"What the hell were you thinking?" I roared out and I saw Jason flinch at the tone of my voice. At this point I didn't really care. I was too caught up in my own rage. 

Leo placed a hand on my shoulder in order to make me relax but all he did was piss me off further. I turned around to glare at him and he slowly removed his hand. 

Jason didn't seem keen on answering and that made my body boil. I leaned forward, grasping the arm rests of the chair the omega was sitting on, leaning closer so our faces were inches apart. Jason still had the damn audacity to avoid my gaze. 

"I will not ask again." I stated firmly. 

Jason shifted in his seat, finally lifting his head as he looked in my eyes. 

"I am not as stupid as you think I am. I am a lawyer after all, you forgot about that!" he tried to defend himself. That made me laugh bitterly at his statement before my amusement faded away as soon as it had appeared. 

"That was not an answer to the question I asked!" I hissed, my eyes flashing in red for a split second. I could feel it, all of the blood began boiling in my veins and if I put a bit more pressure on the wooden arm rests of the chair, I'd have broken it with my bare hands. 

I held my jaw clenched together, my eyes focused on the omega in front of me. The faint scent of mint and rain filled my nostrils and it made me growl deeply. 

Jason kept fumbling with his fingers, his face had grown pale somewhat, brown eyes avoided me at all costs and decided to focus on my brother instead of me. For some reason it pissed me off even more. 

"Look at me." I demanded. 

Jason refused. 

Fucking omega.

I reached to grasp his jaw and turn his head so our faces were inches apart again, Jason had no choice but to look in my eyes. 

"I asked you a question."

Leo cleared his throat. The tension in the air was too damn intense for me to act rational. Just as usual, I was led by my body impulses and the pure rage coursing through me. 

"I overheard you talking about Clarissa's funeral and I-I got a m-message- a l-letter telling me to come to the funeral or else you two will be in danger."

What?

"Jason," Leo started in a calmer tone now, I heard his footsteps and soon his presence by my side. "From who was the message you received?"

"It was an e-envelope with very scribbled note that wrote about you two b-being in danger if I didn't show up d-dressed like I was at Clarissa's funeral."

I scowled, frowning yet again and slowly looking at my brother who was definitely catching up on what had happened at this point. 

"Where is the note?" I asked in a calmer tone, slowly pulling away from the omega. Jason seemed to grow calmer as well as he shoved his hand into the pocket of his hoodie and pulled it out, handing it to me. My slim fingers grasped the piece of paper and we read what was being scribbled. 

"Jason, baby. Here are three tasks for you: 1. Put black clothes on. 2. Cover your face. 3. Visit Clarissa's funeral or else your knights in shining armor might get hurt." Leo read out loud and I felt the rage completely preventing me from breathing properly. Shit. Fuck. 

I tried to calm down and not break something, again. Maybe somewhere deep in my mind I also did not want to scare Jason. Since when was I so considerate of a mere omega?

Leo crushed the note in his palm and I saw him growing rather annoyed as well. 

"That fucker, whoever they are, they are messing with us like damn rag dolls and they watch every fucking move." 

Jason kept shaking. I saw tears streaming down his face and I never felt the urge to fall on my knees and wipe those tears away with my fingers, cup his jaw and----

"Stop crying." I blurted out. Jason seemed caught off guard as he wiped his tears off almost immediately. Leo scowled at me for being so harsh on the omega but I panicked, okay? Those feelings in me, I've never felt them. I was scared shitless.

"When did you received it?" I heard Leo speak. 

"A few minutes after you left. There was a knock on the door and when the maid opened, there was just an envelope placed on the ground and that was it. No one was around."

I began pacing back and forth, my nostrils flaring. I kept feeling more and more powerless against that motherfucker.

What the heck was I supposed to do in this case?

"I know it's the killer trying to toy with you, Ryder, but you have to let me help you out in this." I heard Jason speak soon after. I stopped pacing, straightening my shoulders and I glanced at the omega.

"Why would you want to get involved in that? You put yourself in danger." Leo quickly responded and I felt the urge to punch something. A wall-- or throw a bottle. 

"I am already involved! You forget that this person murdered Lana! She was my girlfriend!" Jason's face was pale as a sheet, I felt concern rise up deep within my chest. Dammit! I was growing too flustered with all of this shit. 

I pinched the bridge of my nose, not knowing what to say. Well, I knew what to say but I knew it would only make things harder on all of us.

Silence filled the room.

That was, before the door of the living room opened and one of the maids walked in, she was hesitantly walking toward us. In one of her hands she held an envelope. 

"What--" I heard Leo speak up as I snatched the envelope from her hands. She flinched and I spared her a glance before I quickly opened it. 

"From who is it?" I asked in a deep low voice as the woman before me seemingly shook in fear. She gulped. 

"I-it was placed to the front of the door, sir. I- I don't know from who it is."

My hands were shaking so damn hard. As I ripped the envelope open, I heard something fall on the marble floor. Everyone in the room did. It did fall with a loud clank and I glanced at my feet only to freeze in my tracks.

A ring.

Clarissa's ring.

The same ring I put on her finger. 

"Motherfucker," I whispered as I threw the envelope and ran outside, opening every damn door, almost bursting inside as my eyes scanned the area. In the distance, right in front of the main gates I saw a black vehicle parked. 

I didn't think straight.

I began running with all of my might. My inner wolf growing more and more furious from each step I took. 

I saw the vehicle roar loudly and it drove off before I was able to reach it. As I approached the black gates, I grasped them and I began screaming until my throat hurt. I was kicking and pushing on them, almost breaking them with my inner wolf growling and scratching to come out and destroy everything that comes my way. 

I was filled with rage. So much rage that my body pulsed.

I heard footsteps behind me, they were as fast. Someone was running after me. 

"Ryder!" I heard Jason's voice and I let out a low growl that rumbled into the ground, turning around to glare at the omega. I saw the ring he held in his hand and my heart stopped as I slumped on the ground panting heavily. 

"Fuck-" I cursed under my breath and it was the moment where I saw my hands shaking uncontrollably. 

"H-hey, listen to m-me" I saw Jason kneel and gently place his hands on my knees.  Our eyes met. I looked desperate, hopeless and completely broken in his eyes. 

My facade was breaking apart slowly. 

"W-we will catch them. I promise you that. Just, please, let me he-help you." he stuggled to speak, I knew it was from the pheromones I was oozing. I kept panting heavily and as he placedc his hands on mine, it was like calmness washed over my body. 

As minutes passed by, I was able to breathe calmer now. 

"Please...let me help you." he begged quietly. 

Why was I doing this? For my sake? For his sake ? Or Leo's.

"Fine." I spoke out soon after, I felt my throat aching from all of the screaming and yelling. That damn killer slipped between my fingers yet again. But there will not be next time where they will escape me.

They won't.

I noticed relief wash over Jason's features as he slumped down too, taking deep breath. Leo ran toward us as he held the envelope. 

"Ryder, I think you should see this-" he handed me the envelope and I took it, my eyes scanned the scribbled message on the small white card. 

Let's meet at the masquerade ball two days from now. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I've prepared a huge surprise for you. Until then, enjoy your wife's ring. 

I crushed the piece of paper in my large palm, rage burned within me again. 

"Masquerade ball?" Leo asked, kneeling down. "I think I heard people talk around about this event. It's basically gonna be another omega auction hidden under that entire thing. I also heard a lot of people from wealthy families are gonna attend. We can catch them there."

"Let's make up a plan, shall we?" Jason spoke out and I glanced at them both. 

"You are only putting yourself in danger, you realize that, right?" I asked them both. Jason sighed and glanced at my brother then at me. 

"You know.  . . that same sicko took very important people. We have something in common so let's work on that cause, yes? Let's work together."

Leo agreed.

"I am up for that."

I rolled my eyes, leaning my head against the gate. I was silent for a bit before finally caving. My pride was somehow crushed, I thought I could handle this entire shit alone but I was far from right. 

"Okay. Let's do this. . . " I spoke out and there was more silence between us three.

"So, how about we call our trio 'The majestic trio'?" Leo spoke out.

"Very original." I commented bitterly.

I also heard Jason giggle and I had to admit it was the cutest thing ever. For fuck's sake. I had to push this aside. Now was not the time.