Five

|| BOREUM ||

How furious would you be if you didn't have a single say for any aspect of your wedding?

Although I, respectfully, hate my sister, I can't help but pity her. My mother and Jaeun are organizing basically everything. They picked the venue, a big luxurious banquet hall, for her to wed in. And of course, the wedding theme is lavender purple and light gold. I know that this is the opposite of what Bitna wants because I happened to come across her personal wedding planner a few weeks ago. It's sort of good that the adults arranged the wedding for her. I mean, seriously, orange and green?!

My parents want Bitna married as soon as possible because my old man wants to quickly retire and leave the company in her hands. It doesn't make sense to me, I'd think I'd run the company just fine, and I don't need a spouse for that. Maybe that's just because I'm better than Bitna, but because I'm not the heir, there's nothing I can do about it.

Running out of the car quickly as the rain pours down on us, we quickly hurry into the bridal boutique. Inside a man with an interesting hairstyle greets us at the door. "Ah yes, welcome, Ryu and Hwang family. Can I get you seated?"

Getting straight to the point, huh? Professional. He leads us women to a part of the store, private from the rest. Passing by, I look at the hundreds of pricey dresses of many different types and styles. They're alright, I guess.

Sitting down, my mother and Jaeun start to chat. "We need to get a good dress for Bitna. Nothing too flashy or dangerous." My mother says as Mrs. Hwang shakes her head vigouresly.

This would be more fun if he was here. It's fun to watch him sit there. And after our last altercation, I've been more absorbed than ever. The man from before approaches us. "Can I have the bride? I want her to pick out some dresses. Meanwhile, we can have the bridesmaids pick out their dresses."

"Oh, we're going to go with her." Jaeun and mother scramble to their feet and latch themselves to Bitna before she could escape. "Boreum, you're fine picking out your dress by yourself, right? Remember to stick to the colours!" They disappear into the abyss, leaving me behind.

Oh right, I forgot to mention. I'm a bridesmaid. Not by choice, if you're wondering. Bitna didn't have anyone that wanted to be a bridesmaid (if they were even eligible to do so) which left me as the only option. I will be using this to my advantage, by the way.

A different worker leads me to the back of the shop, where expensive and colourful dresses of different types lay on the racks. "Are there any wedding colours you are restricted to, ma'am?"

"Uh, light gold and lavender. But I'd prefer the latter." I say quietly. "Very well." She brings me to a side of dresses that were all of the light purple shades. My hands start to go through them, but none of them caught my eye. I was thinking about just grabbing a white dress and wearing that to the wedding, but I guess I'll stick to the wedding theme.

"They're all too... cute," I say, which is true. All of the dresses are too precious and elegant for me. Where are all the sexy dresses that make everyone think of me as a slutty whore? That's the sort of fashion I'm into.

"I see. Well, we have a few other options that may be closer to your taste." She says, leaving the room and entering back with a few other dresses of light purple. The first two were full length, which wasn't really my type when it came to clothing. The other three were just not my style.

But the last one. That was the one. It was lavender, but... Sexy. Short, reaching to my mid-thighs, and had a thin strap holding it up. It had shimmers and was made out of comfortable silk that made my hands melt just touching it. The sleeves were slightly sheer and reached all the way to my wrists. It was perfect. It was mine.

I try it on and of course, it's just right. I can already imagine the glares I'm going to get showing up to the wedding wearing this. And, it fits me perfectly. I show the worker. "It look's lovely on you. Would you like to show the others?"

I make my way back to the room where my family was in. I linger outside the door, looking at my sister wearing the dress like my mom and Jaeun evaluate it. I'm not going to sugarcoat this, but it was extremely ugly. I mean, considering how lavish the venue for the wedding was, the dress looked like Bitna was going to morning church.

It was half sleeve, and barely tugging her curves. It made her look like a door. And it was made out of one single fabric, not even lace. I mean, how boring can a wedding dress get? And I can tell she doesn't like it either, based on the frown on her face.

"C'mon, dear. It looks lovely on you." My mother tries to convince Bitna. "I look ugly in it, mom. I liked the one before more." Bitna says.

"You have to understand, Bitna. The bride is supposed to be modest. The other dress shows too much! What will the public think if they see you dressed like that? This one is a safe option for you." Mother says.

I hold in my snicker. God, this is sad. Especially when they're going to see my dress. Opening my phone to make it look like I was busy, I walk into the room. I look up, pretending like I wasn't watching from the door. "Oh, that looks... Adequate." I say in the least convincing voice ever.

"Boreum, you look beautiful. Now tell your sister this dress is nice to buy." Mother tells me. "It's fine, I guess." I secretly smile sinisterly at Bitna when mom and Jaeun weren't looking.

Just then the doors open, revealing a group of about 6 guys standing there. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that Hyunjin was standing there as well? "Hyukjae! What are you doing here?" Jaeun runs to her feet.

"I wanted to see the bride as a surprise, check out everything and make sure it was all going well..." His eyes trail and stop at me. I think he was staring at my boobs or something like that. I play with my hair because I knew that Hyunjin was of course looking. He was looking, right?!

Hyukjae starts to walk past in, and I think Bitna tries to wave at him but he walks right past her. It was then that I realized he was standing right before me. He puts out his hand, presumably for me to shake. "You're Ryu Boreum, right? I hope we get to know each other better."

My eyes dart behind him to Hyunjin. I was expecting him to be somewhat jealous, but it looks like he was actually encouraging me to take his hand. His eyes point to his right, straight at Bitna who was staring at me solemnly. Like he was hinting at something.

Oh. I understand perfectly now. I take Hyukjae's hand, shaking it gleefully. "Yes, I hope we do."