Sixteen

TW // Homicide

|| BOREUM ||

Stunning dresses and pricey tuxedos can't conceal the truth. No one wants to be here.

After the gigantic scandal (I mean gigantic) both Ryu Hotels and Seonya Motor Company have gone downhill in both stocks and investments, and major businesspeople have backed out in the wedding in general.

It's almost sinister on my father's part. The company is going to shit and we're losing brand deals left and right, but since the wedding is tomorrow, he won't even be the CEO of the company. Leaving the mess behind for Bitna to take care of, so diabolical.

Today's the rehearsal dinner. We all arrive at the Hwang mansion, where the feast is being hosted. My outfit consisted of a white full sleeve shirt and a matching skirt, which was comfortable enough to let me get wasted drunk in.

I've sort of accepted defeat at this point. There's nothing, and I mean literally nothing, that Hyunjin and I could do to stop this. Unless we object at the wedding or something but causing a public distraction is completely out of the question. I guess this is my fate, a nobody sibling to an heiress.

We're greeted at the door by one of the butlers to the Hwang household, giving us a warm towel to damp our hands with. We're led to the dining room, where we greet the wedding party. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, et cetera et cetera.

As I go around greeting and hugging the people in the room, my eye catches on one person. Chul. What on Earth is he doing here? He isn't even part of the wedding party, so who let him in?

I try not to let my confusion show on my face as I take my stool farthest away from the betrothed couple, sitting next to Hyunjin on the other side of the table. "Why is Chul here?" I question him as soon as I sit down.

"Last minute change. They think that it was Oh Chan, one of the groomsmen, that leaked the stuff to the gossip magazine. They needed a replacement." He explains as I try not to groan out loud.

"Ugh, that means I have to see Chul sending me heart eyes from across the aisle while the vows are taking place. This wedding is going to be hell." I complain.

"There's not much we can do anyways. All we can do is watch as our entire lives fade away. But at least this caviar tastes amazing, right?" He says sarcastically, placing the appetizer in his mouth.

All I do is watch helplessly as the family members pass the gifts down the table to Bitna and Hyukjae, ranging from expensive brands, or household goods like coffee machines. That could have been me, I was so close...

My throat starts to close as I can feel the room around me become hotter. "I'll be back," I mutter to Hyunjin, not making sure he understood me before rushing out of the room while the attention was on Bitna.

I rush up the stairs and into the first room that I find. I sit down on the bed, my chest rising up and down as my breath shakes slowly. What the hell just happened? Is this what they call a panic attack?

My eyes trace down to the floor, where a piece of smelly socks lay on the carpet. "Gross," I mutter, kicking them away with my heels as I look at the side table. A Chipotle bag, probably from weeks ago as it stank a smell nothing should reek.

Of course, I'm in Hyukjae's room. I get up from the bed, curious about what STI I got from sitting on it when the door suddenly opened. I flinched slightly, expecting Hyukjae to be there, but instead, I saw Chul.

I glare at him. "Are you following me, or something?" I spat. In his hands was a box, with the words 'Saint Laurent' on them. He has something to say, I know it. He's probably going to get on his knees and beg for me to take him back, that's all he ever does when we interact anyways.

He gulps. "I just want to know, Boreum. What did I ever do to you? All I ever did was treat you like a princess and then suddenly one day you just randomly break up with me? I want to know the reason!" He holds my hands suddenly.

I look up at him in pity. "I don't like you, Chul. I never did. Leave me alone, once and for all." I take his hands off of me, getting ready to walk past him and away. He suddenly grabbed onto my hand, turning me around.

"What the-"

"Just open my gift for you, at least. It's a limited edition, only around 50 were created worldwide." He handed me the box, which I realize I have no choice but to open. He looked so adamant, and maybe if I just complied then he would leave me alone.

A sigh leaves my lips as I fumble with the box, opening it to reveal a pair of diamond heels. Perfectly incrested were the light blue crystals, shimmering under the reflection of the room as I try not to awe out loud. They were beautiful, and I hated that he gave them to me.

Wait a minute. Why would he give me these shoes? I turn up towards him. "What are these for?" I ask, no, command, for him to answer.

He scratches the back of his neck. "I want you to take me back, Boreum. You're my everything, my entire world. Without you, I feel like my life is incomplete. Please, baby, please." He begs.

"Oh god..." I start, staring at him with disgust as I start to back away. "Don't buy me super expensive stuff anymore, Chul. I don't want your money." I state firmly, turning around to walk away for the final time.

"It's that Hwang Hyunjin boy, isn't it?"

I slowly turn around, my face cold. "N-No." I stutter. "Yes, it is. Don't think I haven't noticed. All those glances you two share, the way you two huddle in the corner, gossiping and thinking that no one sees you. I know what you were up to, I knew that you guys were the ones that releases that information to the paparazzi."

The world around me starts to shrink as Chul becomes bigger and bigger. It was like that day with Bitna in the bar all over again. He knows. He knows everything.

I gulp, and he noticed. "I'll give you a proposition, Boreum. You leave Hyunjin, you stay with me, and I don't tell anyone about the truth. And before you think I don't have proof, I do." He starts, whispering into my ear as my hands start to shake.

"Or, you can continue with this nonsense and I'll ruin your life. When I release it was you, your family will disown you. The public will hate you, and you will lose everything. What's a pretty girl like you going to do when that happens, hm?" He mocks.

I hate it when people call me a 'pretty girl'. I glare at him, resisting the urge to spit in his face. "Here's a proposition; suck my dick." I seeth. "This is why I chose Hyunjin over you. You're an insecure prick that hates to admit the fact that maybe, girls aren't that into you. Go to hell."

I can see something erupt in him like a forest fire. "You don't speak to me that way." He threatens. "Or what?" I taunt.

Then, I see it coming up like a plane. His hand, curled into a fist, heading straight toward my head. A gasp leaves my mouth as I shut my eyes, using the shoes that were still in my hand to jab against his head.

I wait for the impact. The unbearable pain, but nothing comes. A thud hits the floor as I open my eyes. A shriek nearly leaves my mouth at the sight as I back away gradually.

I stare at Chul on the floor with a pool of blood around his head, just as the door to the bedroom opens.