Chpater. 6

The annoying beeping sound coming from my alarm woke me up instantly.

I get straight out of bed, I usually don't like to waist anytime.

Today was going to be a good day I felt it.

I go to the bathroom and brush my teeth. For this special day I decided to put on a bit of makeup. A little mascara, filled in my brows, highlighter, blush and some contour. I should do my makeup more often. It suits me.

I get dressed, I wanted to put on something different but still professional looking, I find a white slim fit dress. I wore it once to work but I dropped a cup of coffee on it, so I never wore it again but because to day is a special day I'll wear it. I spray on some perfume then go to my bedroom to give Garry something to eat.

I look at the top of the thank and......
He's dead ?
Is Garry dead ?
He is floating on top the water.

I sprinkle some of his food but he doesn't eat. His eyes wide open and he isn't moving.

Ugh so much for this special day.

I take Garry out of the thank and put him in the toilet
"Good bye Garry" I flush the toilet

I see the orange bloop disappear

Great now I'm not in the mood to do anything and I'm alone for Christmas. Perfect !

But I still have to get to work. I put on my coat and get in my car.
The drive to work was silent.

I walk in the office and the worm smell of sweet Carmel apple and mint candy cane quickly got me into Christmas spirit.
Few of my coworkers decorating the office.
I walk to Chris office and knock on the door
.... No answer

I see Jack and Chris walking together.

"Ah Y/n your here I was just going to start picking the names" Chris says

"Huh ?" I answer not really understanding

"For the Secret Santa game" he reminds me

"Ohh right" I answer.

❄️

We all stand in line to pick a name out of a Christmas hat, that Chris was holding.

"Hey Chris you should also pick a name !" Someone yells

Everyone agrees

"Okay" Chris says picking a name. He looked quite happy with the name he picked, cause I saw a smile.

Then we all pick a name.

I open the scrambled paper it had the name Jack on it. Great !
This is going to be easy, I know Jack quite well so I'll find the perfect present for him.

❄️

I go on with my day. It was actually a nice day except for the fact Garry died not even 24 hours after I got him.

I had to stay late at work and finish up some files so I sat at my desk in the dark working.

When I heard someone else was in the building.

"Hello ?" I say......No answer

I keep on with my work. It was getting hard to read in the dark, I only had a small lamp that blinked every now and then.

I hear someone walking again

But I don't bother it.

All of a sudden my lamp turns off. Great now everything is pitch black. I get my phone and turn on the flash, while at it I notice the time on my phone 12:38. It's getting late I should just get going home. I pick up the files, my purse and then start walking towards the elevator. When I hear something getting plugged in.
I turn around and see the whole office was beautiful decorated with Christmas lights, mistletoe, candy cane and even a Christmas tree.

It is absolutely beautiful.

Who stayed late at work doing this ?

I notice that Chris office lights were still one.

I thought he had left already.

I walk up to the office and knock on the door, then I lightly open it

"Y/n ? What are you doing here" Chris asks me

"Oh I had a few files- what are you doing here ?" I ask him.

"Decorating this place" he says

I was surprised. Who would stay this late at work decorating ?

"Wow it looks absolutely beautiful" I say with a smile.
I notice Chris just looking at me with a smile.
"What ?" I ask

"Nothing- Have you seen the view ?" He says

"No" I answer

"Let me show you" Chris says

I follow Chris out to the balcony. We don't use it much, it's just for the people that smoke.
We both get to the balcony.
The view from the height is absolutely beautiful, especially when there are Christmas lights everywhere.

"Christmas in Chicago is best" I say. I cross my arms as i start to freeze.
I tried my best to not make it obvious that I was freezing, but as I start to shiver, I think Chris saw that.

"Yeah" he says taking of the coat of his suit "here take this your freezing" he says to me

"No it fine" I say. I need to be professional he is my boss after all

Chris still puts the coat around my naked shoulder. "You really don't like it when people help you, do you ?" He says to me.
His deep voice was so soothing.

"No not really" I answer keeping my eyes on the view.

We stand there in silence for a few minutes

"So did you end up buying a gold fish ?" He asks me with a light laugh

"Yeah I did, but-" I stop talking. It's embarrassing to admit that a 24 year old can't take care of a gold fish

"But ?" He says

"He died this morning" I say. I waited to hear Chris laugh- but he didn't

"Oh I'm sorry" Chris says resting his hand on my shoulder.
His touch so gentle.

"It's fine" I say "I should get going it's getting very late" I say to him giving him his jacket back. "Again everything looks great" I say walking away.
I grab my coat and make my way out the office.

I get in my car and drive home.

~❄️~~❄️~~❄️~~❄️~~❄️~~❄️~~❄️~~❄️~