New assignment

September 3, 2015 New York, NY

Joanna Coleson, better known as Jo to her friends and colleagues, was about to go out for her last night on the town before heading to her newest assignment. She wasn't exactly excited to work with this new team. They were big names in her business. Hell, they were big names around the whole world and she was going to be in charge of them all. Normally Jo liked a good challenge, but this was too much for Nick to ask of her.

Shaking her head she pushed those thoughts aside. Positive thoughts only she thinks to herself. A Coleson doesn't back down from anything or anyone. If Nick thought she could do this then she would damnit.

To be honest she was going to miss her posting in Rome. Having been up for a permanent position as lead agent she had bought a house and had had it all ready when he and Phil showed up with a file in hand. Before he'd even opened his mouth she had shut him down, but he was Nick. Pushing his way inside he explained that this job was top priority that only his Fixer could handle. He told her he was reinstating her Fixer status and that she was going to be joining the Avengers. She had laughed in their faces thinking it was a joke. They didn't laugh and it wasn't a joke.

Literally packing her bags Fury and Phil escorted her to a Quinjet and within the hour they were on their way to New York. He then escorted Jo to her temporary apartment in Brooklyn personally. Telling her she would be on forced leave until she decided to officially join. Stubborn to a fault Jo refused to even listen to him or look at his file for three days before Phil stepped in. She knew why Fury had sent him. Coulson was the one who had recruited her for SHIELD straight out of her first three months at Quantico. If anyone could talk her into this job it was him.

Joanna wasnt thrilled with the second half of Nick's request (more like demand) to join the Avengers. She preferred working behind the scenes where she could work unseen from the public eye. Unlike the Avengers who made it their business to be seen and known around the world. Once it became public knowledge her whole life would be in the public eye. Her family could potentially have threats or come to harm from the every day citizens who didn't agree with the team and what they stood for.

First she had to talk to her parents and her brother about how they felt about it. Her parents had the same concerns as her, but reminded Jo that at any time since starting her career in law enforcement up til now they could have been in danger. Mathew, her kid brother, had been all for her to join. Telling her that it would be dope to have his big sister be an Avenger. So with their blessing she reluctantly agreed to make the best out of the situation Fury had put her in.

Nick had left behind the team's files and mission reports from 2012 until present day for her to go over. He wanted her to assess their strengths and weaknesses and come up with a plan to make the unruly superheros into a cohesive unit.

With a large glass of wine she went over everything to see what she had to work with. Joanna had spent the better part of two weeks getting to know everyone's personalities, skills and abilities, achievements and faults. She had seen enough of their mistakes and in-fighting on the news in Europe over the last several years so she knew a bit about what Nick had been talking about. She understood why he wanted her to help them. The Avengers initiative was his baby and he didn't want to see the team broken up because Stark and Rogers couldn't get along.

Needing to clear somethings up she had called him up on Friday telling him the only way she would do it was if she did this her usual way. That meant she had complete control over every part of the retraining without interference like any of her other assignments. Meaning if she felt that someone needed to be cut they were cut. Also she wanted no outside distractions, no press and no gossip. The best place for that would be the Avengers Tower.