Decisions

Tony paced the hall outside of the operating room Joanna was currently in. He could hear the doctor and nurses talking, but so far no one had come out to update him. Hopefully that was a good sign. He thought about the look on Jo's face when she saw the blood. She'd looked so confused. She must not have realized she was pregnant. He had recognized what was going on having had a girlfriend a quite a few years ago go through the same thing. Not wanting to think about that he thought about what Joanna had done in the kitchen.

According to her she had only recently accumulated the ability to do whatever it was she did. It seemed to go off of her emotions based on what had caused her powers to flare up like that. He would need to speak to her or Loki since he knew what all she could do.

"FRIDAY, run all tests we can on any blood samples the Doc pulls from Coleson. I want to see if there is anything there that shouldn't be." She replies, but he's too inside his own head worried about his friend. Tony's concern grows when a nurse runs past him clutching several bags of blood with a blank look on his face. Before he can ask what's happening he's back inside the operating room and the door is closed. He could briefly see Sylvia Thompson and her team working on Joanna who was knocked out and hooked up to machines.

His heart beats harder at the thought of them losing her. She might not have been here for very long and admittedly he hadn't liked her all that much in the beginning, but she had quickly become the glue that literally kept the team together. Trying to keep positive thoughts in his head he starts rattling off instructions to FRIDAY about tests and theories about what could have possibly made her injection a success when the other trials had failed.

:::::::

Two hours later the door to the operating room opens and Sylvia steps out followed by Joanna who was wheeled down the hall to a room. She motions for him to walk with her towards Jo's room. "Agent Coleson and the surviving baby seem to be fine for now. We were able to stop the bleeding, but she needs rest to keep this from happening again."

"Wait babies. As in, there was more than one?!" He asked, shocked. She nods with a strained expression on her face. Tony stood there a moment dazed by this information. He was sad for her to have lost one of the babies, but happy for her that the other had survived. Concern for his friend quickly came to the forefront of his mind. "How's Joanna doing?"

Sylvia sighs as she pulls off her scrub cap and puts it in her pocket. "Right now she's fine, stable. Which is good, she was shocked by the news of course. Whatever the stressor that triggered this she needs to stay away from. FRIDAY let me know you wanted to run tests based on new medical information coming to light. We've pulled blood and urine samples. You and Bruce should see them as they come back in a few hours. Once we have a bigger picture of what's going on with her we can get a better idea on how to keep this from happening again."

She looked at him with a lift of her lips that was a tired smile. "Agent Coleson was lucky you brought her in so quickly. She would have bled out if she had been alone and we would have lost her." He nods and quickly blinks away the tears that threaten to spill from his eyes at the thought.

Her smile slips away as she goes back into doctor mode. "As for now, she's on strict bed rest. No missions, limited walking around and no stress!" She says making sure he knows she means it. Sylvia knows them all so well, but this time he was right there with her. Tony didn't want anything to happen to her or that baby. Whatever her decision on staying with the team or leaving he would make sure Jo had the best medicinal team all the way through to delivery.

"I'll be on top of it Doc. I don't want anything to happen to her or the baby. Does she know that.." He couldn't even finish the sentence knowing the pain of losing a child he hoped she would accept his support over the coming days.