I expect a better explanation

Carefully shifting Joanna in his arms Steve glanced down at the woman he loved as she quietly rested her head on his chest. As soon as Dr Thompson cleared her to leave the med bay the feisty mother of his unborn child demanded a wheelchair. Not for one second wanting her outside of his protection he scooped Jo up telling her that he had no problem helping her to their floor. Steve thought she'd protest, but she just laid her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes letting out a small sigh.

Joanna's silence and easy compliance had him worried. She hadn't said much about the baby they lost other than the breakdown she'd had earlier that day and had seemed to push what happened to the back of her mind focusing instead on the next steps for the future hers, their babies and where exactly he fit into it. Something he was very much invested in being a part of because if he could get her to see that he got his head out of his ass then one day he'd be carrying her to their bedroom instead of just hers.

While he was all for a future with her, it was Jo's quietness right now that had him worried for her mental health and he was resolved to see if Loki or Tony could help convince her to see Dr Kent to talk about it. If she let her grief fester he feared that it could be detrimental to her and their unborn child. He'd made a vow to protect them both and he meant to uphold that in every sense.

The ding of the elevator had him looking up to see Bucky and Peter standing there chatting congenally until they looked over and paused. Their eyes fall to the pale woman dressed in the grey medical gown in his arms. Speaking simultaneously they both stepped forward as he tried to exit.

"What the hell happened?"

"Jo, are you okay? Why are you with Captain Rogers?"

Tiredly lifting her head she gave them a half hearted smile. "I'm fine. I'll explain later. Right now I'm tired and want to lay down." Tilting her head back to look up at him she gave him a sleepy smile. "Can you take me to my room now?"

"Sure Sweetheart." Keeping his eyes on Joanna he excuses them, moving past his best friend and the younger man. "Excuse us, I need to get her to bed, she's had a rough night."

Nither were surprised that Buck and Peter followed on either side of them peppering them with questions. It wasn't long before they collected a trail of concerned Avengers all confused by the sight of a listless Joanna being willingly carried by Steve. "Good Lord! Spangles stop for a minute will you?"

He held her tighter as she straightened up a bit to address their friends. Her blase tone belied the seriousness of what happened as if she'd sprained an ankle and not lost a baby and nearly her own life. "If you must know Steve and I had a long conversation after I had a partial miscarriage. While we aren't besties we're okay for now."

Stepping forward to place a hand on her shoulder Natasha and Jo shared a commiserating look before her green eyes flick up to his and back to her friends. "Miscarriage, you were pregnant? Who was the father?"

"Yes." Joanna's earlier tone of bravado slipped away as her grief filled that one word. They could see them all share glances silently wondering, but he would leave it up to Joanna to tell them if she wanted them to know. Giving her a comforting squeeze to let her know he supported her and whatever she decided to tell them. "Steve- Steve is the father of both babies. We lost one, but the other is healthy so far."

You could have heard a pin drop at her bomb of an announcement. No one knew what to say to that and he could see her exhaustion written all over her face so he carried Joanna the rest of the way to her room where Loki was waiting. He would answer whatever questions they had later right now she needed him more than they needed answers. Holding the door open for them the Asgardian gave her a small smile. "Tired, Kitten?"