Chapter 2

Jess

I walk into chemistry and there's only seven other people sitting in the class. I shuffle to the middle of the room, to the side, where my seat is, and drop my bag to the floor. Mr Wallis strides in and stands at the top of the class.

"Where's the rest of the class?" he asks. His stern frown glazes over the empty seats.

Silence. No one is in the mood right now to talk to Mr. Wallis. I hate it when no one answers, its awkward, but then again, I don't want to answer.

"The flu is going around, and some people are on a German exchange" says Landon at last. I quickly glance over in his direction but he just continues to talk to Alex. He nonchalantly leans back in his chair and absentmindedly scribbles on his notebook while Mr.Wallis debates his options.

I guess Ethan has the flu because Alex and Ethan are a packaged deal of lanky, dark haired, hormones. They annoy the shit out of me.

They are just, loud. And just really want to be heard. They're the type of people to ask a stupid question in class just to ask a question, or the types to put me on edge whenever they're around. I'm not really sure why.

Mr Wallis sighs and scans the room again. "Well I was going to give you a project to do in pairs and in order to be graded this semester we need to start now. The others will just have to catch up, they are the ones to miss my class" a powerpoint appears behind him and I take my notebook out to be prepared.

"Then just don't give it to us!" Alex hollers from the back of the class. Only two people laugh and that was because the people that usually laugh are clearly not here.

As I thought that, I kind of smirked to myself. The second-hand embarrassment that rippled through the room was immense, and Alex's face was hilarious as he tried to recover from his joke that face planted.

Then I realized I should have laughed. I want Landon to like me, and that means I also have to tolerate his friends. I make a mental note to try harder for Landon's attention in simple ways. I've had a crush on him for a while and never before managed to do anything about it.

"No, I'm still going to make you do the project assignment'" Mr Wallis smirked and then started picking the partners. I hate when we have to work in partners because I worry no one will want to be my partner or they'll want to switch.

"Ok, eh, Sarah and Bryce at the front," he said. "You two," his hand gestured to Emma and Elle.    "Landon and Alex, you two can go together, annnd, oh wait Mac, is there an uneven number?"

He pauses scanning the room. I shrink further into myself against the wall, pretending to not realize Mr Wallis forgot I'm in his class.

Landon and Alex enthusiastically high-five at being partners and then everyone glanced suggestively at me.

"No!" Landon said and then he pointed to me. Mr Wallis' eyes find mine and I try to look busy finding a pen.

Oh god. Not Mac.

"Oh yes of course, sorry Jess, you and Mac can go together." he makes it seem so simple.

My heart started to beat a little faster seeing Mac's easy going walk over to the empty seat beside me.

His dark, slightly curly hair flops onto his forehead, and I have to admit, this close, his green eyes are striking. His arms just about fit into his t-shirt and he stretches his long legs fully out and slouches comfortably beside me.

I scribble drawings on my hand during Mr.Wallis' droning explanations throughout the class.

Mr Wallis told us that the project  was a research project on 'chemistry in industry' and it was due November 1st.