Chapter 7

Jess

As we continue our walk the rain starts as a light drizzle, and then progressively starts chucking it down, soaking my hoodie and sneakers through.

"Fuck!" I shout over the noises of the pelting rain.

Mac and I start to run down the street, his long strides quickly have him zooming ahead of me. I push myself harder sprinting after him.

My stamina for running is not as good as it used to be, but the thought of a challenge drives me onward.

"Need help keeping up?" Mac sidles up beside me smugly. His hair that has escaped from his hood has curled against his forehead, and droplets of rain roll down his temples.

His little side smile is cute but annoying.

"No as you can see, I'm perfectly fine and have more energy than you, just shorter legs."

He scoffs doubtingly, but continues to keep pace beside me.

On impulse I suddenly make a bolt for it and power on ahead of him.

Bad idea.

He catches up with me in in about 5 seconds. As he approaches behind me I can hear his lighthearted mocking laughter.

"Thought you could get rid of me that easily, Lenard?" he says as he looks down and smirks at me.

Lenard? To be honest I didn't even know Mac knew my last name.

A sound that could only be described as an embarrassing giggle escapes my mouth, and I immediately feel my cheeks flush pink.

"No I just wanted to get to that coffee shop first," I say and dart across the street running to a coffee shop I know is around a half a mile away.

"Jesus Jess, you cross the road like you have nothing to live for," Mac grunts but runs after me.

I stride on until I reach the coffee shop door and fall against it. A second later Mac tumbles in after me. I hunch over trying to get my breath back, Mac mirroring my movements.

We stand up at the same time breathless, and I catch his eye.

His lips slightly quirk up and I can't help but laugh. His laugh echoes around me, filling the small space with boisterous challenge.

We're competitive when we're with each other, and it sets an unsure little fire in my stomach.

A shiver jolts through my body.

"Come on, lets go inside," Mac says, pulling me after him by the sleeve of my hoodie. We walk in, a little bell ringing above our heads announcing our arrival. My shoes grossly squelch beneath me.

The coffee shop smells hit my nose filling my senses of cinnamon and comforting coffee.

Orange leaf fall garlands drape artistically off of the shelves. Little pumpkins sit on the counter, and people are nestled into their chairs, enjoying warm drinks away from the miserable weather outside.

It's cozy in here, like a shield from the outside world.

The barista, who's perfect winged eyeliner I'm jealous of, gives us the side eye. I realize it was because we were basically dragging in a river of water after us.

The worn mahogany floors have stained a darker color revealing where we've dripped and stepped.

As we stood in line I survey everyone who is in the coffee shop.

Two couples around our age, a mom and her sleeping baby in a stroller, two construction workers in luminous clothing and hard hats, which I'm assuming they are on their lunch break and three busy baristas.