Chapter 15

Jess

Mac did indeed keep his promise and found me at my locker at the end of lunch.

He strode up to me looking way too smug for his own good, his hair still damp from his shower after football practice, it sticking up at a couple of odd angles.

Mac makes it very difficult to not stare, with his toned arms peeking out from under his t shirt, his amazing height for a sixteen year old and his sharpening features and green eyes.

"Hey, I tried to find you at the start but I couldn't find you anywhere," he hands me another Tupperware container full of lasagna. "Where did you disappear to?" he questions.

"Oh nowhere, it doesn't matter. Thanks so much for the food, at last I'll have a proper meal other than dino nuggets tonight!" I smile warmly, not wanting him to dwell on where I was.

I was in the library of course, but I don't want to seem lonely. I don't need his pity, I don't think I could handle it.

Anyway I wasn't lonely, I had Reeves.

Reeves and I talk more now, I asked him about some of the pins on his backpack and he seemed so happy I was interested. We love talking about books and our latest Netflix binges.

"Can you make me dino nuggets next time?" I try to eat the lasagna while walking. Mac grabs onto my shoulders to steer me past people after I bumped into someone already.

"Dino nuggets? Really? April fucking loves them things and I don't get the deal with them!" he shakes his head chidingly.

I gape at his objection. Dino nuggets are elite!

"They are cute and convenient," I protest, which just earns me a faint smile and an eye roll. I let out a small laugh.

"Come on, lets get to class," he grumbles. We walk side by side on the way to algebra.

"I always notice you are so focused in algebra, than in any other subject. Are you secretly a nerd and not a big broody football jock?" I joke and elbow his side.

"So you notice me now, huh Lenard?" his smirk returns to his face and he elbows me back.

"No, I just get distracted so I look out the window and that's coincidentally where you sit. You block my way of the running track actually with that big head of yours!"

He mocks me with a fake gasp, feigning offence. God he picked up on my flare for dramatics quickly.

"Well this big head of mine helps me think of all the comebacks to your smart ass!" he points to his head bringing my attention to his wet hair, that I so badly want to touch.

"You look like a poodle," I state and he bursts out laughing. His head falls down to the neck of his sweatshirt to try suppress that laugh that he so badly wants to hide.

I would do anything for him to laugh like that again.

Jordan and Landon round the corner right as Mac and I exchange a few more witty comments that have us both creasing over in laughter.

"Is that Mac Russell Griffin in a barrel of laughs?" Jordan hollers. Landon's mouth falls into a straight line and his blue eyes are piercing into Mac.

Mac clears his throat, "You saw nothing. I was just choking on air."

Jordan and I chuckle again and he focuses his attention on me.

"You have a lot of power Jess. God what did you do to him?" I just giggle and nudge Mac in the side playfully.